Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a B200 from 2007 and suddenly the engine stall and after scan I have this code P0068 "manifold pressure throttle position correlation vacuum leak detected" I have an appointment monday to the dealer, but could anybody tell me how bad could be? Do you now if can be covered by warranty, the car is 4 y old but have 139 000 km. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Your MAP sensor and TPS sensor values are not changing the same way relative to each other as the computer expects, so an error is outputed. Could be one of the sensors, wiring, or less likely IMHO an actual vacuum leak, although a vacuum hose could have gotten a crack or loosened. The dealer can usually check the sensors themselves and do 'wiggle' tests on the wiring.

Any work done recently on the car or anything under the hood?

P.S. Please add profile location info and year model (you stated it, but in future threads the info will be there already).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, pfsantos I'll see tomorow what MB will find. Last week I have changed the Barometric Pressure Sensor after an P2222 code, that cost me ~ 200$ with work time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Make sure (if applicable) they function test the system or test the sensor before replacing. A lot of times, inferior mechanics just throw parts at a car (since they're not paying for parts or labour) until the problem goes away, instead of diagnosing the problem properly.

Even after saying the above, I was guilty of this last year (I'm not a mechanic, btw). I replaced an idle air control valve on a Ford, only to still have the problem - found a broken wire right near the plug,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easy way

OK, I had a call from the dealer and after one and a half hours they cannot put a diagnostic and decided that they need to change the engine wire harness, 2300$ value before tax and after that will see if the code P0068 is still there :mad:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Two questions come to mind...

1. Is the car under warranty? I guess you'd care more about that than the dealer.
2. Why can't the dealer check the circuits affected (i.e. continuity between sensors and ECU)? I guess it's a better deal for them to just replace the harness?

And another question (to all)...who eats the cost if the harness replacement doesn't solve the problem, if under warranty. M-B should hold dealers accountable (as everyone should - this is a disease in the whole industry) when parts are just replaced at a whim. A little off topic though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MB dealer

It's not under warranty, the warranty is 4 y and 80 000km, and the car is 4y and a half and 139000km (on HWY, I'm making 140km/day to go to work).

You are absolutely right, there is not accountability, it's always necessary to be done.

But I called the dealer and I told him to stop dooing any work and I spooke with another MB technician, maybee he can do something tomorow (he ask me the same thing, why they don't check the circuits and replace the harness) Thanks.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
The bottom line is that all of these wasted additional costs will be added on to the next vehicles being sold.

If the ship doesn't go bust,...then everyone just keeps paying more...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suite and end?

I brought my car to another garage, they told me that the engine wire harness look in good shape and is not need to change any wiring. They cleaned the throttle and the throttle position sensor, fix a connection, tested three times on the road and the car is ok now (Mercedes dealer want to change all wiring around the engine for 2300$+tx).
Can we complain about thnigs like that? And where?
Two months before another MB dealer told me that I need to change discs and pads for all 4 wheels, and I did it (1200$) and now the breaks are squeaking (hard) Back to the dealer they told me that is another part of the breaks that need to be changed for another 300+tx and I said NO.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Interesting. I'd write a nice email/letter to Head Office (M-B Canada). I'm sure they have a customer relations area. Who knows how serious they'll take it, but if enough people complain and the same name turns up, maybe someone will notice.

Which dealer was this again?

And which place seems to have fixed the problem?

At least we'll know. Mind you, even good dealers and mechanics can make mistakes, but if a pattern develops, then it'll be obvious.

All the best and keep us updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Santos;
The dealer is MB Markham and the garage Universal Auto Techs in Richmond Hill.
But what difference? First time (for the breaks I was to MB Innisfil, in Barrie) and I will not go back.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Interesting.

Re: vacuum/tps/map problem... Any more info on the connection they fixed? Which one/how fixed? So no parts replaced, just cleaned the Throttle plates/area? Maybe just a bad connection or corrosion at the plug to the sensor? I know you may not have been standing near the mechanic, but if you have any more info, let us know.

Re: your brakes...I'd stay on top of that dealer until the noise is gone. Lots of times, the fine details of doing a proper job are skipped...especially at a flat rate shop, which most places are (you get paid x.x hours for the job no matter how long or short you actually take). We've seen this before. Wheel to disk contact area not cleaned, lugs not torqued, caliper pins or brake hardware not cleaned/lubed (your case I presume), the list goes on.

Lol, off-topic - I made the dealer reduce the oil level after an oil change (amongst a couple more things). I found a question mark beside the request on the work order (in pen). I guess a certain mechanic now knows at least some people are checking. Wasn't trying to be an a$$, but I've heard bad things about oil levels beyond max., and I don't have an oil extractor yet, so it was bothering me.

edit: M-B Canada should send you a link to an online "how did we do" questionaire (maybe just M-B Canada owned dealer's? don't know). Did you get one after the dealer service on the brakes?

·
Registered
211 Posts
My 2 cents

Have been reading this thread with great interest.
Glad you found a decent place to solve your problem!

But this is all too common on this forum...
time and time again we read about overcharging and not replacing the right parts ,or not installing them properly...and the problems persist ..example: when you do brakes Discs and pads all surfaces must be cleaned,scraped of rust,caliper bolts re-lubed ,sensor changed even if not shorted 10$ not worth re-doing, etc...!
And its always A MB Dealer...Money Machines
And imho some MB owners don't have a clue?
They have deep pockets and never question the Dealer
(well its a Mercedes they are told ! every thing is more expensive!)

Dealers are trying to save money hiring young jobbers, that don't have the years of experience to do ...even ....the simple jobs like brakes?
I say we should make a thread and expose these Dealers and shame them into giving the customer what they PAY for!:mad:
My 2 cents

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
And imho some MB owners don't have a clue?
They have deep pockets and never question the Dealer

I say we should make a thread and expose these Dealers and shame them...
+1

Too many MB owners will never have a clue ...and that's the way they want it...

They have extremely deep pockets and will rarely ask ""Why so much"...just pay the bill....till next time.

...and they also rarely come to car forums because it's of no interest to them to do so...

For the very few of us here, it's of great interest and we question the excessive costs and the constant secrecy at MB, and we try to keep costs in line with what we feel is a "fair cost for fair service.".

...and there is an APA to help those that feel they have been ripped-off......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have to many technical details, but I know that he replaced a stablink, diagnosed engine light and cleaned throttle body.
I wrotte an email to the manager to ask for a refund because the diagnosis was wrong and his reply was just incredible: "We had advised you that replacement of components identified by the fault code should not be a first step and will likely result in further repairs required due to the wire harness contact issue with your vehicle.
Nevertheless you have chosen the route to replace these components first which is your certainly your right. We still stand behind our diagnosis and advise you that you may still have further problems which may not show up for several thousand kilometers."
Nevertheless he will determine if a refund is warranted :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One year later (and 40 000 km), I don't have any troubles with the wiring. Could be because I shift to Petro Canada and I fill only the 94 octane gas?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts