Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, found one of the vacuum leaks in the engine compartment on the driver's side (left) near the headlight, but don't know what this part is in order to replace it. Maybe one of you all can help out. Here's a pic (the white stuff on the piece is silicone to try and seal it).

Attachments

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
3,195 Posts
The best sealant is a common yellowish contact adhesive; small amount from outside will make wonders and it will be easy to remove if needed.

Here 300SL is a rare bird so it may be a better option to check where the valve is connected and ask at W124 or W126 forum

·
Registered
1980 450SL named Freya. 202,000mi
574 Posts
I'm going to guess that that car does NOT have an O2 sensor - note for anyone with a car WITH an O2 sensor, do not use silicone sealants anywhere where outgassing will lead to the combustion chamber.

UNLESS that sealant states O2 sensor safe.

When many silicones cure, the outgassing of certain components can damage the O2 sensor. This goes for many silicone sprays as well.

Fully cured silicones like silicone tubing, and silicones specifically marked o2 sensor safe are okay.

A

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,162 Posts
Hello all, found one of the vacuum leaks in the engine compartment on the driver's side (left) near the headlight, but don't know what this part is in order to replace it. Maybe one of you all can help out. Here's a pic (the white stuff on the piece is silicone to try and seal it).
It looks like a check valve of sorts.
Follow the lines one by one and see where they go.

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Myndex, not completely sure, but think my SL does not have an 02 sensor (being all european and all) :D - but thanks for your wise warning.

Nobby, one line goes to the check valves up on the left hand side near the brake master cylinder and then into the cockpit. Another line goes to the manifold, and the last line goes into the side pannel near where this valve is located, not sure where it ends up (maybe brakes). It's not the lights hoses as those are next to these and run separate.

Thanks for your feedback guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It could be feeding vacuum to the vacuum reservoir if they changed the mounting sides or headlight range (level) adjust

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It could be feeding vacuum to the vacuum reservoir if they changed the mounting sides or headlight range (level) adjust
Thanks, but Im going to need a visual :D Its my first MB and learning as I go along.
BTW, engine is a 103.982 - inline 6, not the usual V8.

Here is another pic. prior to the silicone aplication:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Thanks, but Im going to need a visual :D Its my first MB and learning as I go along.
BTW, engine is a 103.982 - inline 6, not the usual V8.

Here is another pic. prior to the silicone aplication:
You'll need a eBay CD for 107 (torrent available) to get a good perspective of features and functions of common 107 assemblies.
Unfortunately, 280, 300, 420 and 500 were not exported to US of A and as the CD was made for US market it will not have your engine.
Never the less, most other features your car have are identical or fairly similar to 380 and somewhat to 560.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, as far as the manual goes, I have already sent MB 150 euros to get the CD manual for this model. I have to wait to recieve it, but until then, I mostly rely on the good people of this forum.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I think that there may be a ROTW version of a 107 manual.

I have US version of W124 manual on CD and a ROTW version in german that covers all the models.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts