Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Vacuum Doors

2906 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  JFKennedy
I was just wondering if anyone knows if all the S Class cars come with the vacuum doors/trunk. I have a 93 400SEL and it doesn't seem to have it, unless the vacuum is broken? Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: NO, Vacuum assist was on the cars from the beginning.

We had a family 1993 350SD and the car had vacuum assist.<p>: I don't think it has it. I also have a 93 500SEL and it don't seem to work, but my 97 S600 & 99 S55 works prefectly. I think they put those vacuum doors after 97 when they did the small makeover.<p>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
: I was just wondering if anyone knows if all the S Class cars come with the vacuum doors/trunk. I have a 93 400SEL and it doesn't seem to have it, unless the vacuum is broken? Thanks!<p>The closing assist feature cam standard on all "S" classes except for the small six cylinder(300SE, S320), in which it was an option. You might have a vacuum leak or a faulty closing assist pump. Goood luck.<p>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just purchased a 95 S320 and was told that this was the first year that MB offered this as an option. If your trunk handle is chrome you are suppose to have it, if it is black you do not. I figured it was due to the 320 being a base model.

· Registered
w140 300TD
6 Posts
It is standard on the S600, but on all the others it's is an option. It is option 883 as...

It is standard on the S600, but on all the others it's is an option. It is option 883 as you can see at http://www.amcon-luxled.com/mbcar/options.html

· Registered
Current: '14 S550, '99 S500, '10 Prius; Previous: '93 400SEL, '98 Corolla
105 Posts
Vaccum assist on the 400SEL

I just bought a 93 400SEL yesterday and it does have the vaccum assist. I'm not sure if it was an option or came standard, but it works on all doors and trunks, also on the door locks (which is neat - the locks get sucked in slowly when you press the "lock all doors" button.

· Registered
W140 S320
15 Posts
My 1992 S320 has vacuum door but it doesnt work, Ive tracked a leak down to the lumber bags which Ive fitted new ones (£26 each). Does any one know where the resiviour is, as I need to trace the air line back to its sourse. Im sure the other end has come off as well. Does any one have a manual for this car?

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
140 vacum doors.

All 92& up had vacum doors and trunk, the vacum pump is one of the weaker links and expensive $600. It is located over the rear driver side wheel next to the fuel tank. This pump controld the runk lid pull down, the door assist, the trunk handle. there is another pump located under the rear seat that controls the central locking. The only thing that is unclear is that some 140s used a vacum pump to control the rear seat head rests, but the 500 & 600 used electric motors

· Registered
300 SE
27 Posts
Re: Re: Vacuum Doors

My 1992 S320 has vacuum door but it doesnt work, Ive tracked a leak down to the lumber bags which Ive fitted new ones (£26 each). Does any one know where the resiviour is, as I need to trace the air line back to its sourse. Im sure the other end has come off as well. Does any one have a manual for this car?
I have a 92 300 SE which has the vaccum assist which I just replaced the pump on. It is in the trunk on the left side next to the gas tank. It is very easy to replace. It's cost is about $198.00 US currency rebuilt from George Murphy (email address) [email protected] the door locks and truck handle pump is located under the rear seat on the right side of the car. This one costs about$400.00 US currency from George and is new. Good luck with these issues. I fixed both of mine this past weekend and glad that I did. The door locks and lumbar are on the same pump. Door and truck closers are on the other pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.