Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 380SE Metallic Navy Blue
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post my recent experience with oil pump replacement.

I had put a huge dent in my oil sump pan and as a precaution, bought a new oil pump. I asked my indie MBZ mechanic what was involved in replacing pump. He said about 1 hour labor! The oil pump is accessible from below and pump can be replaced without replacing the short chain. I had taken my 380SE to other places and they said I had to take the front end of engine off to replace the oil pump ($1500)...

·
Banned
a device that is designed or used to transport people or cargo.
14,116 Posts
Thought I would post my recent experience with oil pump replacement.

I had put a huge dent in my oil sump pan and as a precaution, bought a new oil pump. I asked my indie MBZ mechanic what was involved in replacing pump. He said about 1 hour labor! The oil pump is accessible from below and pump can be replaced without replacing the short chain. I had taken my 380SE to other places and they said I had to take the front end of engine off to replace the oil pump ($1500)...
nice to hear it is only an hour and a DIY. can you tell us the names of the shops that want to open the engine?

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 380SE Metallic Navy Blue
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice to hear it is only an hour and a DIY. can you tell us the names of the shops that want to open the engine?
Rather not knock them as they have both done wok for me. Caveat Emptor comes to mind...

Rhodes Import Service in Augusta, Georgia replaced the sump cover and pump...Kudos to them..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts