Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
CLK200
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

This is my first post. The car in the Avatar is my immaculate CLK200. I have toyed with the idea for a while now of getting rid of her to upgrade to a raunchier SL500, SLK55, etc but have come to the conclusion I should keep the beautiful old gal and drop a V8 in her.

I鈥檓 shopping for a donor vehicle and on my list are:-

ML430/500 W163
CLK430 208 series (could then use all donor parts)

S430/500

Etc etc. As we all know old V8 mercs can be picked up for peanuts. So why not?

My CLK is the Avantgarde with standard lowered suspension. My questions are:-

Can the current suspension/braking cope with a heavy, high powered V8?

What transmission/bell housing have I likely got in the old 4 cyl kompressor?

What might drop straight in?

What ECU/interfacing issues might I face?

Can I do this and include custom header exhaust system?

Really hoping to find a connection out there who understands my practical based motivation to pursue this path and who can advise on the above and any additional advice.

Many thanks for reading 馃檹

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
Honestly, you're better off getting a V6 or V8 208 and work your way up there. There is too much difference between the regular CLK200 and CLK430, and unless you have someone handy with SDS and other equipment to program it, you'll be up the shit's creek without a paddle.

You'd need to swap the springs and shocks for one from a V8, as the engine is about 200lb heavier. Yes for stronger brakes, also taken from a V8 model.

Transmission likely won't bolt up, if I'm not mistaken you're on M111 4 cylinder, which is based on M104. M111 is basically M104 with the front two cylinders lopped off, and as such the bellhousing pattern is identical on M104/111, but different in M113. So you need to transfer the transmission too.

That's the easy part. The hard part is programming the ECU to the EIS on your car, so it will start. Not sure if you know someone in your area who can do that.

My final question is, what's your budget? Come up with an estimate for everything you think you might need...and then triple it. Then maybe you'll get close to the final cost of how much it'll cost you in the end.

How much does a CLK430 goes for?

Registered
CLK200
Discussion Starter #3
Hi to all,

This is my first post. The car in the Avatar is my immaculate CLK200. I have toyed with the idea for a while now of getting rid of her to upgrade to a raunchier SL500, SLK55, etc but have come to the conclusion I should keep the beautiful old gal and drop a V8 in her.

I鈥檓 shopping for a donor vehicle and on my list are:-

ML430/500 W163
CLK430 208 series (could then use all donor parts)

S430/500

Etc etc. As we all know old V8 mercs can be picked up for peanuts. So why not?

My CLK is the Avantgarde with standard lowered suspension. My questions are:-

Can the current suspension/braking cope with a heavy, high powered V8?

What transmission/bell housing have I likely got in the old 4 cyl kompressor?

What might drop straight in?

What ECU/interfacing issues might I face?

Can I do this and include custom header exhaust system?

Really hoping to find a connection out there who understands my practical based motivation to pursue this path and who can advise on the above and any additional advice.

Many thanks for reading 馃檹

Registered
CLK200
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. You told me what I expected to hear.,

I can pick up a second hand CLK430 hardtop for $7500. My convertible is immaculate so would make the better car if I swapped everything across. This is what I鈥檓 thinking of doing.

To buy a nice SL500 or similar is going to cost $30,000. I can build my car to suit including adding high performance exhaust system for 10k all up. Regarding brakes and suspension, this Avantgarde has got stiffened lowered springs and a big set callipers/rotors to begin with. I鈥檇 have to do more research on transmission though it鈥檚 not going to matter if the donor car has everything that wiill swap straight over.

Thank you again I do take your advice seriously. You have at least made me realise that anything other than a CLK donor won鈥檛 work.

Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
If doing a price comparison, you really need to ask what will an immaculate CLK430 cost, minus whatever you could sell your CLK200 = actual cost to you.

You would end up with (hopefully), a well looked after car, that had a re-sale value.

If you go the other route, after untold problems and hard work, you'll end up with a converted car, that you may be unable to sell. The cheap donor car will be cheap because it's knackered and worn out. Swapping all the worn out parts over to your good car, will make it a worn out car.

I'd save a lot of work and problems and buy the best 430 you can find. It's not as though they're not available.

Registered
CLK200
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate your reply. There are many reasons why I want to conduct the transplant into my existing Avantgarde including the existing lowered stiffened suspension, upgraded callipers, it has a new canvas roof, I reconditioned all hydraulics in roof system. The car presents immaculately. I鈥檒l continue to ponder. If I were to upgrade to a different car I suspect it would be to a CLK55. I like the idea of having a nice sounding car and enjoying it with the roof down.

Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
I appreciate your reply. There are many reasons why I want to conduct the transplant into my existing Avantgarde including the existing lowered stiffened suspension, upgraded callipers, it has a new canvas roof, I reconditioned all hydraulics in roof system. The car presents immaculately. I鈥檒l continue to ponder. If I were to upgrade to a different car I suspect it would be to a CLK55. I like the idea of having a nice sounding car and enjoying it with the roof down.
I think the CLK55 was only available as a coupe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts