Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that every nontrivial job hits a spot where everything comes to a dead halt?

Trying to replace my a/c condenser (yes, there is a leak in the condenser) and I'm at the point where the manual says "Now lift the condenser out" and for the life of me I can't see how that condenser is coming out because of those bulky auxiliary fans. I'm assuming this is a special problem with the V8s but I'm not sure.

Does the condenser come out the front, or behind the front? Is there a way to position the condenser in a way that my simple mind has yet to grasp? Must the auxiliary fans be removed first (aaugh!) ? Should the engine fan be removed? The condenser is completely disconnected.

I am ALL ears.

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
The radiator and aux fans need to come out and there is the screw/bolt attachment on the driver side down near the receiver/dryer location. The aux fans and shroud are attached to the condenser, so they must be removed. Drape a towel over or a piece of cardboard in front of the viscous fan to prevent any accidental contact with the radiator. Since you're opening the system, it would also be smart money to replace the receiver dryer.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jayare,

Thanks for quick response! Radiator is out, nut (not screw?) out, new dryer standing by, I'll be doing a complete refresh of the refrigerant. To remove the auxiliary fan I see 4 bolts w/ 8mm heads, two on each side and 5 plastic push-pin 'rivets' which really don't want to come out. Do they all have to be removed in order to separate the auxiliary fans? Is there a trick to the rivets or do have to resign myself to busting most of them.

Christuna: thanks, I was using that, but you'll notice the sequence there is remove condenser, then remove auxiliary fans, Jayare has suggested that those steps be reversed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, for the next person who stumbles onto this thread. Indeed, Jayare is correct, it is necessary to remove the auxiliary fans from the condenser prior to removing the condenser from the car (this is for 8 cyl cars, the 6 cyl versions may have enough clearance to avoid this). To do this one needs to remove the 6 plastic 'rivets' from the aux fan cage (these will not come easily! Be prepared to replace all six, pn 123 990 00 92). Then remove the aux fan cage, then remove the 4 8mm head bolts, two on each side, then the two 8mm head bolts in the center. Generally a pita, especially since some of the bolts are screwed into the frame of the fans, whereas some are nut/bolt combinations that some sadist decided should be put into there. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly, that is, put the condenser and the fan assembly into the car separately, then bolt the fans onto the condenser, then attach the fan cage onto the fans with the push pin/rivets. Then take a break.

Thanks Jayare! It's always helpful to know that you're not all alone when doing these things. You too Christuna!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
As you discovered, this is not a fun job. And yes, removing the fan+clutch will help (not sure if necessary - did you remove it?).

Photos a link below show removal of the auxiliary fans with condenser left in place, on a 500E. I had the fan+clutch removed when I did this job back in 2012:

http://124performance.com/images/W124_stuff/auxiliary_fans_500E/

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks! Those are precisely the kind of tips I was looking for. I googled that MB sealant, it's pn 003 989 98 20 10 for anyone that's looking.

Thanks again. -- Greg

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thanks! Those are precisely the kind of tips I was looking for. I googled that MB sealant, it's pn 003 989 98 20 10 for anyone that's looking.

Thanks again. -- Greg
Yup, that's the stuff! Note that it has a shelf life... I think after 12 months or so, it will take drastically longer to cure. I'm not sure if it's 12 months after the date on the tube, or 12 months after opening. I have some of it that is years old, and it takes 2-4 weeks to fully cure. For a diff cover on the workbench when you're not in a hurry, not a big deal. Fresh stuff should cure within 24 hours.

Right Stuff in the aerosol can seems to have a much longer shelf life, although it's not identical... has a different odor.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
gsxr
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing