Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
V280 Avantagrde + CLK230 Convertable
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been told my head is good for scrap only.
I have done a search and discovered the engine is basically a VW VR6.
What I need to know is - would any VR6 head be a good replacement or should I be looking for something more specific?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They say it's already had it's maximum skim (previous repair) and there is now corrosion pitting on the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
I would think with all the tuning on VW's there must be head shims for this.
I would get on a VW forum.
When I was rebuilding V8 engines we had to use thicker head gaskets for this reason.
Pitting can be overcome with TIG welding, costly but cheeper than a new head from MB if you can get one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may investigate that more if all other options fall through.

I have not seen the condition myself, but it sounds like the last owner decided to refit the head leaving me with a big bill just to cover the workshop time:mad:
As I can find used VW heads for anything from £75 - £150 on ebay it would seem like a good option to just replace it with a used one:)

Hence the question - is there any more detail I need other than VR6 to locate a suitable head :confused:

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
When I had one I did find that VW AAA parts did fit, like coil pack and belt tensioner, but found other parts MB only as the intake goes up and over etc.

Only one way to find out, part numbers or buy one and see for your self.

Might need to fine the cause of the problem as well like new rad and expansion tank, they all seem to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a lead on one locally so I may be able to take mine over and play spot the difference:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts