Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have 1998 Ambiente 230 (V class). I need some help with a problem, especially as I can't find any manuals and my local dealer charges seventy-five million pounds an hour!

The right indicator works fine, but the left goes on and stays on without flashing. If I use the hazards, then both sides work fine. Sometimes after using the hazards, I can get the left indicator to flash for a bit, then it stays on continually. I've pulled out the 2 flasher units at the base of the steering column and swapped them over, but the fault does not transfer, the left side still has the problem.

Also, don't know if this is related, but the instrument lighting fuse blows continually. Any ideas (apart from using a six inch nail as a fuse!)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone else has similar problems, I've found this so far;

The fuse blowing was caused by the previous owner soldering some wires onto both indicator circuits at the 'stalk' to column connector. I think this may have been for it's previous life as an airside transport at Biggin Hill airport, possibly for a flashing roof light, but I don't know why they used the indicator system. Anyway, the solder broke through the insulating tape and shorted on the steering column.

I've stuck a 'jumper lead' joinning the left and right indicator power supplies between the indicator stalk switch and the rest of the indicator system. The left side works perfectly when taking power from the right side. So, it looks like the problem is coming from the left indicator switch.

So here's some pointers for others if faced by a similar problem, what with no manuals being available;

1. 2 allen bolts at back of steering wheel allow the removal of the airbag. (disconnect the battery for 2 minutes before playing with this)
2. airbag can be disconnected at it's back by removing the yellow connector
3. When replacing the switching gear after removal, ensure the raised portion of the steering column (The bit that cancels the indicators) is between the 12 and 6 O'clock position. (just makes it easier)
4. Steering wheel bolt, is as you'd expect, tight. Brute force and ignorance will get it off.

That's all folks!

Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts