Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start this thread wrapped around options for the 2020 GLE. Discussion around what people are choosing or have chosen and comments around the choices. Pricing (if you care to share), etc. Feel free to discuss the prepaid plans as well....

The Good, Bad, and the ugly of it all

Below is the build I have waiting on an Allocation from the dealership. I placed this order way back on 7/12/2019 and got word today that the allocation arrives tomorrow. This got me to thinking that I should see what people think of the choices, what they chose, and what they would or would not do again...hope this discussion has value for all us...

My Build waiting for allocation:
Exterior Color: Polar White
Interior Color: Macchiato Beige/Magma Grey leather

Packages
  • Premium Package
  • Warmth & Comfort Package
  • Driver Assistance Package PLUS
Options & Accessories
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Multi-contour front seats with massage feature
  • Heated 2nd-row seats
  • MBUX Augmented Video for Navigation
  • Front passenger seat memory
  • 64-color LED ambient lighting/illuminated door sills
  • Polar White
  • 21-inch twin 5-spoke
  • Illuminated running boards
  • Load Sill Guard, Chrome
  • Macchiato Beige/Magma Grey leather
  • Natural Grain Brown Walnut wood
  • Acoustic Comfort Package
  • Trailer hitch (Class III)
  • Surround View System
  • Speed Limit Assist

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,114 Posts
I've had my GLE 450 now for 8 1/2 months and 8,000 miles. I ordered within hours of the order banks opening on 11/6/18 and received the car beginning of May 2019. We have had the first of every generation of ML/GLE ('98, '05, '12) My wife is the daily driver, but I spec'd it with options I also wanted personally. Here is the spec.:

Polar White
AMG Line Dinamica/MB-Tex upholstery

Packages:
DA0 MBUX Technology
DA3 Parking Assistance
DA4 Lighting
DC-7 E-Active Body Control
DG-1 AMG Line Exterior
DG-2 AMG Line Interior
DP-1 Premium

Options:
H35 Designo Flamed Natural Grain Black Ash trim
P64 Power passenger seat memory
RWA 21" AMG multispoke wheels
413 Power tilt/sliding panorama sun roof
51U Black fabric headliner
550 Trailer hitch
810 Burmester surround sound system

Everyone's needs and desires are different. I would place the AMG line exterior top of my list. Not only, IMO, is the appearance much better, but you get upgraded front brakes, painted wheel arches, nicer front fascia with "diamond" grille, and active sport exhaust (with functional outlets in the bumper, unlike the standard fake ones). The upgraded lighting is great, even though dumbed down for US regs, parking assistance with the extra cameras is useful, the pano sunroof really brightens up the interior. E-ABC is an expensive option I got because I wanted more roll control than Airmatic, but for the price not sure I would do it again. The Active Drive Control on the GLE 53 might be the optimal price/performance option. I had no interest in the driver assistance nanny package, but everyone is different. I actually like to drive instead of being driven!

Despite a couple issues related to early software, we are very happy with the car. Even with 21s the ride is very good, but adequately tight handling in Sport & Sport+. I modified 20" wheels from my W166 for Winters and am running Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV currently.

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering dropping the Acoustics pkg and even thinking about dropping back to 20" tires instead of 21". Looks like the winter tire options are better...

Anyone have thoughts on the 21" over the 20" tires and rims???

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think 21s are ideal For this vehicle. You should really invest in a set of Winter wheels/tires. Many have gotten Tire Rack packages.

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We run winter tires on our XC90. Same rims just swap out the tires...probably will do the same for this vehicle..

I only ask because I struggled to find a reasonable number of tires for the GL and stepped down to a 19" snow tire instead. The speed variation was ever so slight (about a 2 mph difference) between the std. 20" tires and the 19" tires

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
There are plenty of good 20” Winter tires nowYou might rethink not getting a 2nd set of wheels. Over 5 years you’ll spen like $1k plus thw hassle of swapping tires. Just MO.

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone recently ordered a GLE with the Driver Assistance Package Plus (DA2PKG)? If so what did your dealer tell you was "required" as additional options for choosing DA2PKG?

Working on my final build now for an order to go to Allocation this coming Monday or Tuesday and would love to get some feedback.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Has anyone recently ordered a GLE with the Driver Assistance Package Plus (DA2PKG)? If so what did your dealer tell you was "required" as additional options for choosing DA2PKG?

Working on my final build now for an order to go to Allocation this coming Monday or Tuesday and would love to get some feedback.
No personal experience with DA2, but this is what the Dealer's Order Guide says, in case you haven't seen it:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts