Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
S500v 4Matic 2003 - S600 V12 1998 (Sold) - E320 4Matic 1999 - E430 4matic 2001 - CLK320 conv 2004
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

The idea of deactivating a bank of 6 cylinders on the big V12 came to me a long while ago but I couldn't find a way, by that time, of making ignition and fuel delivery stop completely till I thought of this:

What about disconnecting the secondary ME computer, the N3/11 module that control Cyl 7-12, on the car and driving it with only the N3/12 module controlling Cyl 1-6 only ?

Fuel injection should stop automatically as is ignition, right?

But what other essential issue would we be facing?

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts
I think you are trying to make the old engine work like newer engines. You will also need to depressurize those cylinders to minimize the extra work that the engine needs to do (i.e. the piston is still compressing...modern day cars have it so that those pistons work up and down freely with no compression, which reduces engine effort).

·
Registered
S500v 4Matic 2003 - S600 V12 1998 (Sold) - E320 4Matic 1999 - E430 4matic 2001 - CLK320 conv 2004
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks man..
Well what I read in these 2 articles:
part 1
part 2

was that they usually keep the valves closed on purpose to keep the previous gazes of the last ignition in the cylinders still compressing and uncompressing and that this was very important (for a reason I can't understand)
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I see failure here. One side of a motor seeing tons of extra wear and tear

modern engines do not shutbdown one side of the engine iirc it shuts down specific cylinders.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Well not really, like the M137 engine used on V12s from 2000-2002 they have a 6 cylinder deactivation system ( 1 complete bank) which makes it a 6 in-line and keeps it balanced, and yes modern engine do shut down complete banks as you can find in numerous examples, but thanks again!

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Hey guys,

The idea of deactivating a bank of 6 cylinders on the big V12 came to me a long while ago but I couldn't find a way, by that time, of making ignition and fuel delivery stop completely till I thought of this:

What about disconnecting the secondary ME computer, the N3/11 module that control Cyl 7-12, on the car and driving it with only the N3/12 module controlling Cyl 1-6 only ?

Fuel injection should stop automatically as is ignition, right?

But what other essential issue would we be facing?

i laughed so hard i fell off the chair

tell you what, i could explain it why i am still laughing or i could just tell you to find out for yourself, technical lecture notwithstanding

disconnect the 6 coils to one bank. run engine. report back.

im still laughing btw. of all the things ive read this is up there

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts

tell you what, i could explain it why i am still laughing or i could just tell you to find out for yourself, technical lecture notwithstanding

LOL. I have to admit I wasn't reading every word that was written...now that I have...not sure what to say...speechless...lol

·
Registered
140 600 1991
221 Posts
Not an expert, obviously, but I think that modern disconnection of some cylinders is much more than that simple turning-off specific ones. It is fully steered by a complicated alghorithm.

It is not only about wear, but also about balanced heating of the whole block. In fact, the non-working set of cylinders is changing in nearly each turn/revolution of the motor. That is what I have read in the past.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts

Disconnect the coil packs and the fuel injectors then OK, the ECU cannot communicate with that bank at all and the engine will run as a 6 cylinder. As for wear and tear, of course the side that is still working will wear faster.

But these engines run so well on one bank, very well balanced, only thing will be a loss of power and a cel on.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Disconnect the coil packs and the fuel injectors then OK, the ECU cannot communicate with that bank at all and the engine will run as a 6 cylinder. As for wear and tear, of course the side that is still working will wear faster.

But these engines run so well on one bank, very well balanced, only thing will be a loss of power and a cel on.

So you are saying i basically gave him a cheap, 2 minute how to guide to his question. ;)

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,566 Posts
Why buy a V12 and then half the engine , Buy an S320 with all the gadjets and you done .
If i had a V12 i expect it to run on all 12 not just 6 ,if i wanted the cut off Cylinder option i'd buy a W220 S600 wich are fitted with that feature .
If Petrol prices are a problem then you might start aranging to sell the car as they get worst in time . I wasnt to happy with my V8 when it was running on only 7 , when you need the power and it isnt there ,it's the worst feeling you can have .
Just my opinion Michobebe ,no offence please after all it is only an idee.:thumbsup:

I only forgive you because you live in Montreal Canada ,Gilles Villeneuve F1 GP Track ,my favourite.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
So you are saying i basically gave him a cheap, 2 minute how to guide to his question. ;)
Not at all, just joining the fun:D

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

When you get control of yourself please take the time to share your knowledge with us, in depth. Then we can either laugh with you, or just think you are strange.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
When you get control of yourself please take the time to share your knowledge with us, in depth. Then we can either laugh with you, or just think you are strange.
you yourself said 140 arent worth the time and money, so therefore it is not worth it me explaining anything. your ball

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
What's is old is new again. Another idea that gets recycled since invention 60 or 70 years ago

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't find this very funny. I'm serious about the question and the idea.. and if it's not doable for reasons, this is what this thread is about.. to understand and learn... I understand and know enough about the car and physics to discuss the subject.. if you could inform us then thanks.. if you don't then I did not propose some hilarious idea that could be laughed at.
Using a different fuel isn't the goal..
Disconnecting the coils would just soak up the engine and kill the cats..
Disconnecting the coils AND the injectors is already better.. but what about the throttle body opening and the purge valves etc? would those be an issue and wouldn't it be better to shut down the whole bank from its computer?

Heat dissipation for 1/2 an engine could be a serious issue..

Potential crankshaft wear?
Potential valve/camshaft wear on the non working side?
Other stuff you may know that could wear?

This would be for long trips where power is not needed and where the bill could make a significant difference
An 00-02 S-class is a complete No-no.. Not surprising they changed a whole powerplant in 3 years! My 03 500 4matic is perfect not even had to write on post/question/repair about it. But it's smaller for long trips with al lot of stuff to carry.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
You might look at the ECU system that shuts down cylinders when decelerating The system is there and forget the compression problems the engine is strong enough to take it If i remember correctly the shutdown sequence is 10.8..6..progressive Its in the engine manuals activated by speed sensor and hall effect unit
.. you could cheat it.. or get armchair genius to sort it for you .. I was toying with the idea if doing it when stopped at lights

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
I don't find this very funny. I'm serious about the question and the idea.. and if it's not doable for reasons, this is what this thread is about.. to understand and learn... I understand and know enough about the car and physics to discuss the subject.. if you could inform us then thanks.. if you don't then I did not propose some hilarious idea that could be laughed at.
Using a different fuel isn't the goal..
Disconnecting the coils would just soak up the engine and kill the cats..
Disconnecting the coils AND the injectors is already better.. but what about the throttle body opening and the purge valves etc? would those be an issue and wouldn't it be better to shut down the whole bank from its computer?

Heat dissipation for 1/2 an engine could be a serious issue..

Potential crankshaft wear?
Potential valve/camshaft wear on the non working side?
Other stuff you may know that could wear?

This would be for long trips where power is not needed and where the bill could make a significant difference
An 00-02 S-class is a complete No-no.. Not surprising they changed a whole powerplant in 3 years! My 03 500 4matic is perfect not even had to write on post/question/repair about it. But it's smaller for long trips with al lot of stuff to carry.

Thanks again!
You already know the answers to your questions. Do you expect somebody to tell you there is a feasible way to achieve what you want? no there isn't. I was mostly laughing at your initial approach of hacking the computers (good luck.. not even russian programmers with no jobs and a truckload of vodka have managed). The ECUs are tied together along with timing, fuel delivery, emissions, throttle etc for both banks. Like i said, plug the coils. That's the result you can expect even if you manage to create your own bank deactivation system by utilizing means rivaled only by mb engineers with the source code to all the eprom units you'll need to butcher

The idea itself is a failed concept and manufacturers long abandoned it moving towards forced induction instead of trying to halt half engine for 20% fuel savings, if that.

fuel is your last worry. you can just loopback the unused rail back to the return line.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts