Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
V220 CDI Ambiente
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently having a battle with Mercedes to get them to sort out the rust on my 4 year old v220 cdi. It needs the tailgate, side door, bonnet and slam panel replacing. They have all rotted on the seams. First they refused outright saying it was out of warrenty. Then I reminded them that it comes with a 30 year paintwork warrenty under Moblio life, they then said it did not cover accessories (meaning doors). To cut a long story short I am now months down the line, the vehicle has been inspected and photographed several times. Each inspector has said that the vehicle is covered and the rust is from the inside out.The paint depth has been measured, etc,etc. But each time it is put through the warrenty department refuse. Mercedes Benz customers complaints have told me that I am entitled to a 100% claim but it keeps getting knocked back.

I suggested that I would go to watchdog and tell them the story and suddenly they will now pay 30% of the repair work. But why should I pay for work that is covered under the warrenty?

I just thought I would let you all know that Merceds are making promises that they will not honour. BUYER BEWARE!

·
Registered
V220cdi
27 Posts
ouch

Hi again havent heard from you for a while.I too have bean amased at the service I have receved from mercedes.No body or mechanical problems YET bot thay do not apear to de able/or are unwilling to fix trim/electal problems,and my vehicle is lest than 15months old bought from MB direct.
Mabe we can compare notes,
Autoexpres may be imtrested
Please let me know how you get on
D

·
Registered
V220 CDI Ambiente
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard of 4 other v-class owners with the same problem, MB refusing to honour the wa...

I have heard of 4 other v-class owners with the same problem, MB refusing to honour the warrenty.
Whats worse in my opinion is that the people making the ruling on my claim wont talk directly to me. They will not even put anything in writing! When they offered 30% I asked the dealership to get MB to put it in writing, they would not! But the dealer did.

I honestly would not advise anyone to buy a Mercedes Benz V-class.

I also have a rattle behind the dash which is annoying!

But sad as it sounds I love the vehicle.

The A bar looks good Dave although it was a pain to fit. I will put some photos on soon.
I want to get some chrome side bars too.

I will update this thread as the story continues.

·
Registered
V220cdi
27 Posts
Parts

Hi I have just been told by my dealer that the parts for my front seat and rear seat are not avalable and they are gowing to fit new seats under waranty,OK for now but as the parts are a drive cable for front seat,and arm rest latch plate for rear seat!!! I hope thay dont fail out of waranty.

Did you sort the road noise?

can you tell me how you fit the heater clock,and where to get parts.

I have just fitid a weaker retern spring to the brake pedal(above pasanger foot well) makes an amasing improvment to brake feel.

Attachments

·
Registered
V220 CDI Ambiente
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: Parts

Hi Dave where did you get the spring from?

I havent taken delivery of the timer + remote yet, it is in the post, as soon as i have fitted it i will let you know how easy it is.

I am on the lookout for a set of grey V-Class curtains and the fixing if anyone has a set?

·
Registered
V220cdi
27 Posts
spring is made up from 2 standard "starparts" ext.springs,I am trying to sorce a more profesonal part and will let you know when I find one.I two have been after a gray curtan kit and have not been able to get one from MBparts,I have concerns that MB have stop suplying parts for the vehicle,see my previous post!!!
If I find a sorce I will let you know,thats two now so
we should be able to neg. a decent discount
D

·
Registered
V220 CDI Ambiente
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been quote £320 +VAT for the curtains from my local dealer, but I have been told that they are on factory back order.
They can not confirm that it comes with the rails.

I may order it and see if they arrive.

I am also after a stainless exhaust system if anyone know a supplier.

Maybe we should a v-vlass custom website Dave.

[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
V220 CDI Ambiente
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The latest update on from MB is that although the vehicle is covered for corrosion, it is NOT covered at the seams in the panels.
So where the inner and outer panels join to make the doors/bonnet it is NOT covered for rust.

Again I have asked for this to be put in writing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, just noticed your posting about paint/seams.

I've had same problem. Tailgate, doors, rust marks on sills etc. Battled with merc long and hard with v220 cd1 2001(Y). Already had 2 free services for crap service from them.
Paint, been complaining since vehicle was 30 months old, for various reasons - all down to mb, it didn’t get painted and I hadn’t had time to chase it. Thinking of selling I started again with claim.
Photo’s done, quotes for £2250.
Merc said they would pay 1/2 - then sent a letter saying it was out of warranty.
I explained the situation again and again, to dealer, Maastricht and Milton Keynes.
With a potential bill of £1100 I spoke to the legal department of MB in Milton K. and ask for all information about vehicle, explained I would rather give my solicitor £1100 and do repair myself with touch-up.
They finally decided that they should paint it foc.
Made a reasonable job of paint, didn’t clean, valet car or get rust marks off sill. Tail light now in/op. boot handle loose and rust proof stuff all over inside of windows.
Wife returned car for them to have a second go. They replaced broken bulb?? Whole cluster wasn’t working, don’t think they had reconnected it properly. They t cut sills and that’s it. Car collected - they didn’t have manpower to return it. Still not cleaned. And now door mirror surround dented. Explained that we would not be bringing it back again for that doing. They said they've ordered the part and will collect/repair and return.
I paid £30k for the car - few extras. The car on a whole is ok, the service is crap. I like the new cl but can’t think about buying one with service like this.
Many people would have paid the £1100, like you, I think if they give a warranty they shout stand by it.
I have four other cars and none of then cause me the same issues. I'm even considering buying a Renault for the people carrier duties.
If Merc want another £100k of my money, replacement v class and CL they need to buck their ideas up. As a 38 year old I have a lot of car buying to come – the way Merc are going it won’t be with them!!!
I can safely say they have the worst customer service/warranty of any manufacturer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I assume you are in the UK. Ive now purchased my second Vito after having 2 VW's based mainly on the excellent after sale care that I have received from Mercedes Benz in Sydney Australia.My dealer has a new service adviser that previously worked for Benz in the UK and he was suprised at the far more lenient approach to claims here. I had my new Van in for some minor paint repairs and I mentioned that there was a mark on the bumber bar which I thought that they may be able to touch up. When I picked up the Van they had repaired all the minor paint probs and replaced the bumper with a new one. On top of this they supplied me with a free courtesy van for the day!They replaced my battery at my home on a Sunday 1 Hour after I called them at no cost to me.
Our warranties are 3 years or 100,000 klms.
Also they have a great finance company.

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
Hi Guys, After having several other cars including a Nissan Serena which I have had for 11 years without a single problem, Unfortunately I had an accident and it was written off,(I bought it back to fix at some stage as it has been as it has been an excellant car).
I ended up buying a Top of the range, V Class 220CDI Ambiente 2003 model & I paid £20k. I have always admired these & decided that it was time. It is fully loaded & I love it to bits. BUT, when it came down to my local dealer in Edmonton London, working on it, the whole issue with them has been a total nightmare.
I have had to put it in several times for things & they have given me such a hard time that it almost makes me regret buying it.
Within the 2nd week it broke down (started motor) so down to my local dealer it went. When I bought it, it also needed its 65k service which I was told is a 'B' service, after being told that as it costs £595, it is a 'MAJOR' service & EVERYTHING is covered in it.
I was told that All brakes will be changed, needed or not,(strange I thought, but good as I had just bought it, this would reassure me about safety etc of the car) all filters, oils fluids etc...Having no choice as to keep the warranty of the car I handed it over.
When I went to collect it, all that had been done was that oil, oil filter, cabin filter, remote batteries changed, washer fluid filled with £2.95 worth of fluid (which I had already topped up night before) & 2 new wipers fitted. NO air filter was changed! Ontop of that there had been damage to the alloys & damage to the paint on the front bumper. I was told that these would be taken care of at the next time car was there.
Not being totally happy I was forced to pay to get my car back.. to me £595 is a lot of money for what was done!!!. (IS this a normal charge?)
When I told them that I was told that EVERTHING would be covered in this 'Major' service including NEW brakes etc, I was told ' that the girl at the reception is new & made a mistake'
They justified it with that!
I am not even able to tell IF they really HAVE changed these few bits at all either as they are not visible!
Now I could have taken it to my local garage who uses same parts & would have charged £95 for same job!

It was booked in for 'sqeeky pulleys' & they had it a full day & told me it was all done, then a week later I was called & told to book it in for same fault AND I had leave it for 2 days!! when I told them they had it a FULL day for this already they were at a loss & said they didnt do it! SO it went in again for another 2 days!! Bloody jokers!!

The Edmonton Dealers have a strange problem of being unable to supply a courtesy car (for which they always want to charge me for) AND when they do manage to book in the service, they call me the night, or an hour b4 to change the date as no courtesy car available for booked date, despite me waiting several weeks!, then I have to wait several weeks AGAIN, with same problem re-occuring.
Now my warranty runs out end of Feb 2006 & I want all the stuff done but cant see it.
Spoken to Mercedes UK & they seem powerless!!
NOT WHAT I EXPECTED FROM MERCEDES !!!
Especially when we are considering a second car originally another Mercedes(ML) (not much chance of that I think), also with a friend AND a cousin both looking to buy a Mercedes with my help & advice, I have seriously considered several other makes for them as well, I think a Nissan & a Audi in these cases.

Since then it has been a long story trying to get all the little bits done. Every time the car is in there, other problems & issues arise, it seems these dealers at least are the biggest cowboys I have ever met in this line of work.
I am sad to say that I am VERY VERY dissapointed with My experience with MERCEDES & will project my experiences to everybody.

Regards
SARGE

·
Registered
2007 W221 Brabus D6 III S320 CDi LWB, 2003 W220 500LWB & 1999 W202 240 Elegance Auto
168 Posts
RE: Parts

Try this on e-bay for curtains,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8007609920&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts