Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ussun's new tires and wheels?

Radical new tire design by Michelin. The next generation of tires. They had a pair at the Philadelphia car show.
Fwchecko.jpg

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do, and just think of the impact on existing technology:

A. no more air valves...
B. no more air compressors at gas stations...
C. no more repair kits...
D. no more flats...
SCAN DOWN &SEE.

These are actual pictures taken in the South Carolina plant of Michelin.
file000.jpg
file001.jpg
file002.jpg
file003.jpg

They could work for daryn too. While he's running from the coppers.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,498 Posts
And none too soon.
Think of all that air that won't be going to the land fill now.
Environmentalists rejoice!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Aesthetically, my old school eyes may never get used to them, but life is change. Hell, my great grandmother had Wilbur Wright's autograph, and lived long enough to watch Neil Armstrong walk the moon, on television.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
How long will it last? If it lasts for long, tire companies will kill the idea because it will hurt their profits.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
How long will it last? If it lasts for long, tire companies will kill the idea because it will hurt their profits.
Think about it, to have grip, it has to wear. If it has to wear it has to be replaced.

It's still rubber on the road, so will wear at the same rate as the same rubber compound on a regular tyre.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
You still have tread, bonded to that matrix thingy, instead of the inflated carcass we're used to. The tread is still going to wear. Question, is how reusable is the 'wheel assembly'. Might there be a 'core value' for the center, with exchanges available?

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Not trying to be negative. I like the idea but I can imagine these tires will be noisy. It's like having 4 fans running. Also, will be pain in the back to clean them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts