Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of reopening this issue (I have seen the “W and S mode means Sport and Comfort?” thread), I have a 2000 E320. I still want to use the W mode (winter/wet snow and ice) in South Florida because I want the comfort of stately gentle, smooth and unnoticeable shifting into second and third. I have driven a 2007 C230 for some time and have used the C(omfort) mode instead of the S(port) mode with no apparent downside.
Is there any downside (other than performance) to using the W mode (winter/wet snow and ice) in South Florida all the time? I saw that ZYALATR said, “f you leave it in W it strains the tranny on dry pavement,” but did not elaborate.
Can anyone elaborate on to using the W mode in South Florida all the time?

·
Registered
414 Posts
i use it for better gas mileage is stop and go traffic. usually keep it in W unless I want to take off faster.
Winter starts in Second Gear
Summer starts in First Gear

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
i use it for better gas mileage is stop and go traffic. usually keep it in W unless I want to take off faster.
Winter starts in Second Gear
Summer starts in First Gear
FrankiE55 is right on, the "W" starts in second gear. (that is why the first to second is SO smooth it never happens in "W". Further more it will not stress your transmission on gentle starts, if you want a quick start then switch to "S" for a first gear launch.

BTW it is a life saver in heavy bumper to bumper stop and go South Florida traffic.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
As far as I know, W stands for winter and S stands for summer. I have never read of any reason why using the W mode in Florida would be detrimental to your transmission or your engine.

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
I always leave mine in W but I had no idea it strains the tranny, I will stop doing that as of today. When I use S the 1-2 or 2-1 change is too violent. I will search to find what others said in the past.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
From what I recall in European version the switch is labeled "E" and "S" for economy and standard.
I played with it couple of times on snow driving, but could not tell the difference.

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would replacing the Mass Air Flow Sensor have any effect on smoother shifting (in S mode, first to second to third). The car was idling a little higher--850 in park and 600 or so in gear.

The dealership replaced the the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and the shifts seem pretty hard still.

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
When I replaced bad MAF on my E320 I noticed mileage going up over 10% comparing to the year prior to it.
That lead me to conclusion that MAF can perform poorly for long time before it triggers the code. So stabilizing idle might be one of the results.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
As far as I know, W stands for winter and S stands for summer. I have never read of any reason why using the W mode in Florida would be detrimental to your transmission or your engine.
No, You put it in W when you lend it to (W)ife, so that it's slower, and put it in S(elf) when you drive it.:D;)

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
That's priceless......I can't stop laughing.

·
Registered
w202 C280 gone s124 300TE gone r107 500SL s210 320cdi and 'junior', the w220 S320
22 Posts
I've got a euro 210

and it's still W & S. I thought they were Winter and Standard. They really do make a difference in marginal conditions, unless you stick your foot down, when the old girl takes off pretty quickly even in W.
our driveway is approached is up a slight slope , and in S the car will drive itself in with no accelerator input from me. In W I have to tickle the pedal, and she creeps along a lot more slowly. This applies in reverse as well.
The change up points are lower in W, even on full bore throttle. You probably won't notice any fuel consumption benefit from driving in W.

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
I tried to use "W" mode today on my 134 HP diesel. The car wants to start on 2-nd but with that engine that is just rolling, so pedal pushed harder kicks it in 1-st making some jerking. As noted the up-shifting is done at lower rpm, but for merging on the freeway I need all 134 HP I have (or not, since I suspect few of them have died over the years).
So screw the fuel savings, I want to feel safe and smooth in the car :D

·
Registered
1997 E320
30 Posts
I am (so far) a big fan of the Winter mode for in-city driving for all seasons.

During our 122 inches of snow this winter (not sure how much snow you got in CA, Kajtek), I used the "W" mode to great effect. There were a number of times where 1st gear was just too short to avoid spinning the wheels in the soft stuff, and that "W" mode really helped alleviate that condition.

I'm sure if I had actual snow tires that would have helped as well, but what can ya do... :crybaby2:

I've been staying with the Winter mode so far this spring, and I really prefer "cruising" from stoplight to stoplight rather than the "jerk into 1st, jerk into 2nd, stop. Lather rinse repeat." action that the "S" mode exhibits for me. I drive a Mercedes, not a Mustang, so I want to "cruise", not "race".

Maybe when I get the tranny flushed that may not be as pronounced.

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
Let me one more time highlight that the above experience I had was with lower power diesel.
I remember that on E320 starting smoothly took some tricks, since higher power and drive by wire delay made for kicking. Driving ML55 on rare occasion I always have problem to move it from stop without small kick. Unfortunatelly ML doesen't have the switch.

·
Registered
'01 E200 KOMPRESSOR
49 Posts
I think in stop and go traffic the W mode is somehow better for the transmission. Because (in my traffic scenario) the tranny shifts to second gear and in the next second I have to stop so it shifts back to first. But if you are already in second gear it doesn's shifts anymore. So less work for the tranny. Anyway, I only use W during winter time cause it makes me feel like Fred Flintstone trying to accelerate :)

·
Registered
E320 Yr 2000, S430 YR 2002
546 Posts
There is no dashboard indication that the car is in W or S mode on E320 MY 2000. However there is on the S430 MY 2002, next to the gear number indicator -- DS or DW etc. I saw no contacts on the electronic board of the E320 that would be connected by the W/S switch. How does it function -- from an electronics point of view ? At least on my E320, it looks like a "dummy".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts