Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
w201,w124,w126
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I might as well create a new thread for this instead of spamming everyone else's.

I got the OEM Alpine radio working at home using an old computer power supply

My deck is rated 7.5A so make sure that the +12v rail on your power supply will allow that.
Code:
--------------
| 1  2  3    |
|          4 |
--------------
So basically I just hooked up the +12v rail to pins 1 and 3, and the GND to pin 4, and the radio works.
And if you are using a modern computer power supply (ATX), you will need to short the PS_ON line to GND, the pinout for the power supply is here ATX power supply connector pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru The wire colours usually vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the pin position is always the same, so look at the numbers and not the colours.

The radio has a small transistor amplifier in it, so you can hook it up straight to some small speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
My mom's 1985 W201 came OEM with a Becker Grand Prix

As did all the '85's . . . but through the production years, changes were made. I believe all the W201 that were built with the door subwoofers are Alpine. My W202 has the "Bose" system, but the headunit and six disc changer are Alpine.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
As did all the '85's . . . but through the production years, changes were made. I believe all the W201 that were built with the door subwoofers are Alpine. My W202 has the "Bose" system, but the headunit and six disc changer are Alpine.
I'm aware of design changes during the production lifecycle. I'd just not heard Alpine mentioned before, but then again this is my first 90's benz.

My car has door woofers, but the headunit was replaced with an aftermarket Alpine cassette h/u.

Thanks for the diagram btw =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts