Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know fog lights go out with the brights, but I though in addition to low headlight setting you could also turn them on with the parking light detente (just to left of headlight detente). I could swear I've used them that way. Anyway, I notice they will not go on except in headlight detente: is it the car or my memory?

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
Yes, mine can be turned on with only the park lights on
Fogs are not really supposed to be used together with main headlights, even though technically they work together
The whole point of them is to only be used when the main headlight beams are not appropriate for the conditions

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
Yes, mine do that but like most others, the switch can be pulled out with the park lights on not just the headlights

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
44,079 Posts
They may be wired differently depending on the Country. In France you used to be able to only use your parking lights in city driving. Another example is the rear fog warning light that is not supposed to be connected in the U.S. I have often been annoyed when driving behind cars, whose drivers had probably no idea there was an high intensity light on in the rear of their car. Cheerio, Teutone (aka Horst K)

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, unless it's because my car is a G1, I believe I should be able to turn on my fogs without my headlights. Now, assuming I used to be able to do so, what has changed? It's not the fuse. Could it be a relay? How many relays are involved?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
1982 300SD
98 Posts
I have the same sort of question I believe.

I have a 1st Generation 300SD and would like to use only my corner lamps[1 click to the right] and the foglights[1 click out]...is this possible?

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SEC
2 Posts
fog lights

Yes Andrew its not your memory. You should be able to turn your fogs on withought turning the headlights on. I can! You said you did this before, so maybe you need to check the fuse?

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miss_Sexc_SEC said:
Yes Andrew its not your memory. You should be able to turn your fogs on withought turning the headlights on. I can! You said you did this before, so maybe you need to check the fuse?
But what fuse?

My fogs work with the headlights on and I don't see any broken fuses or have any other electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
andrew, to clarify -- is it that you are unable to pull out the headlight knob when it's turned to side markers, or that you're able to pull it out but the fog lights don't come on? have you done any mods to the car's headlight system?

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
janos_z said:
andrew, to clarify -- is it that you are unable to pull out the headlight knob when it's turned to side markers, or that you're able to pull it out but the fog lights don't come on? have you done any mods to the car's headlight system?
Janos,

I can pull it out, but nothing happens.
I've done no mods to the car.

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SEC
2 Posts
There are 4 possible causes for your problems that i can think of from the information you have given me.

1. Your car is a 1st generation W126.

2. One (or more) of what i believe to be 5 or 6 relays are burnt - check them asap.

3. Check all of your fuses in your fuse box, and look for any burnt fuses, if you find any replace them asap.

4. You have a really bad memory! :D

Regards...

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
janos_z said:
They do not come on even though the switch pulls out. I have not changed the original system at all.

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 4 speed manual, 1994 C280
229 Posts
which relays??

Yes I am wondering about the same thing. My switch pulls out but the fog lights do not work until the headlights are on. Which relays need to be checked and where are they located? Thanks.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
98 Posts
I'm thinking all of us are having the same problem which is the fact that we own 1st generation W126s. From a brief conversation with my dad it had something to do with the US government's regulations before they changed it...and apparently there is a way to switch some wire over behind the headlight switch to bypass it. He said to definitely not try it on my own as I could burn the car down, lol.

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PA300SD said:
I'm thinking all of us are having the same problem which is the fact that we own 1st generation W126s. From a brief conversation with my dad it had something to do with the US government's regulations before they changed it...and apparently there is a way to switch some wire over behind the headlight switch to bypass it. He said to definitely not try it on my own as I could burn the car down, lol.
OK, where are the relays and how does one check a relay?

·
Always Remembered. RIP.
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
If it's a 1st gen thing, it's an American one
My 1985 (Gen 1) 500SEL has this function, ie; capable of having the fogs on while in the park light setting

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,457 Posts
Hello All,

I'm in a fog after looking at these schematics for a while, but here's what I make out after polishing my reading glasses.

1981 - - 1985 the Foglight switch gets its power only when the LOW Beams are ON.

Model year 1986 on up, the Foglight switch is powered when the headlamp switch is in either Park or Head positions.

Andrew,

If you are speaking of your '83 SD, then the fogs operate in symphony with the Low beams only. If you refer to the later 300SE, then the fogs will work with the Low beams and the Parking lights.

Here are the US Spec wiring diagrams for you..

Cheers, MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Malcolm,

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,457 Posts
You're Welcome Andrew.

I couldn't remember how mine worked, I had to crack open the CDs and prove it to myself!

Glad to oblige. MBL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts