Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport 5sp
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are folks using cell phones with the top down?

I tried once (just got car) and I was told that I couldn't be heard.

Do the integrated systems work well with the top down?

Headsets?

-don

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
A lot of wind noise is created, and the wind also cancels your voice out if you have a hands free setup like I did (that integrates into the SLK).

You have to speak quite loud and you need to drive relatively slowly for the other person to hear you. But it is doable.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
I have the same issue and the best solution I have come up w/so far is a headset. The car kit imho is useless w/the top down. BTW I use a nokia kit not the oem. If I put the windows up and slow down it helps but if its important I pull over which is really the only way to get a decent conversation if u got the top down.

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
I have a nokia handsfree and with the top down and the windows up, i have found ppl can hear me ok but i struggle to hear them (but then my hearing isn't the greatest). Only good for making short calls though, for a longer call i'll put the roof up or wait until i'm finished driving.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I disagree, There are ways to drive and talk. I have driving being my primary focus and I kind of lack in the conversation area and usually the person will want me to call them back when im done driving. The problem is when you have assholes that talk as apposed to drive.

With the top down and windows up I can hear just fine on my Treo 600 palm phone.

-_Deathy

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
I just roll up the windows and turn down the radio.

Everyone I know is aware I have the SLK and they will just speak up. [:D]

I'm talking not handsfree.

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
bodypainter - 4/6/2005 10:21 AM

It's easy, pull over and stop while you're talking on the phone. You shouldn't be talking on the phone while you're driving anyway.
As soon as everyone stops eating, changing CDs, doing their hair, putting on lipstick and having conversations with their passengers.

[:D]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have no problems being heard on my Motorola with the windows up. Wind bloacker probably helps a good bit.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
I've found that with the top down and windows up (no rear screen), my Siemens SX66 with Motorola HS810 Bluetooth headset work up to 55 or 60 MPH before there is too much wind noise.

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
I would imagine one of those headsets that has a longer mic would be better.

However, can someone tell me why you use windblockers? You're in a roadster! Its so much more fun when the wind is blowing through your hair (or head for bodypainter[;)])

Kishan

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
KishanShah - 4/6/2005 9:51 PM

However, can someone tell me why you use windblockers? You're in a roadster! Its so much more fun when the wind is blowing through your hair (or head for bodypainter[;)])

Kishan
I have often wondered the same thing. I keep the factory mesh screen in the trunk in case I'm on a long trip and get tired of the wind in my hair, but on a daily basis I prefer the top and both windows down to get the full effect [8D].

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
1999slk230 - 4/6/2005 8:44 AM

How are folks using cell phones with the top down?

I tried once (just got car) and I was told that I couldn't be heard.

Do the integrated systems work well with the top down?

Headsets?
-don
I remember a story about one man who would pull up alongside a car on the freeway and light a cigarette with the top down. He liked the look on peoples faces when they saw his car was so cool it wouldnt put out a lighter flame with the top down. Do you tell me that you cant be heard even when screaming or near to it. Makes me wonder what happened down at the factory.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
What drives me nuts is these people that I see cruising on the highway at 80 mph reading books, work related papers, or news papers! WTF!

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
When I get above 90 MPH, the newspaper tends to blow back into my face while driving with the top down! If you hold it tightly against the windshild and steer with your knees, you can cruise above 130 while reading.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I tried 3-4 different headsets... and luckily they have all successfully failed. When I'm cruising with the top down and someone calls, IF I hear the call, and IF I answer it, they get so annoyed they hang up. Who the hell wants to talk when your enjoying the weather and one of the finest top down events (and cars) imaginable.[8D][8D][8D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts