Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas:
I am taking the ML on a long drive across country but need to stay online. I plan on taking my Dell laptop and cell phone with me. I have a data cable that connects to the usb port. The problem is that though the software is loaded, my connection keeps searching for a dial tone, which the cell does not produce. I thought the software would take care of that problem.
I am taking her from Cleveland->Atlanta->Houston and back[:D]

·
Registered
03 ML350 Inspiration
17 Posts
Your cell phone connectivity will depend on what kind of phone you have - each manufacturer seems to have their own quirky way of getting your phone to talk to your computer. Just be aware that if you're not on a 2G (PCS or GSM) network, your connectivity speed will likely be pretty abysmal (typically, 9600 baud is the best you'll do on a cellphone audio link) - probably better off stopping and using a hotel data jack and dialup - or finding a Kinko's or internet cafe!!! AT&T / Cingular's Edge data network seems to work pretty well where it's avialable... and the data charges can be reasonable if you're not heavy on volume.

If you're looking for a "Real" solution, Novatel's PCMCIA Merlin card (I know it's available for Sprint and Cingular -assume others as well) is a WONDERFUL addition to your wireless arsenal - Sprint's service is decent but a bit slow (the max throughput claim is 128kBps I believe - but actual is less)... Cingular's is theoretically a bit faster if you're in an Edge area... and both services are about equally pricey - but if you wind up being on the road a lot - well worth the monthly data plan charges!

Happy Driving[8D]

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
If you are planning on using your cell phone it will take some time to load pages. Latency plays a big part. I tried what you are taking about trying. It works don’t get me wrong but it takes a while to request and get a page.

Doing this I used Nextel’s wireless service. I have also used Verizon’s internet service over my LG VX7000 it works great. I get bursts up to 75kb on the road. While moving and getting that good of a connection rocks!

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts