Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a use for the "C" position on the 7 speed automatic. I used it for the first 1,000 miles but then wondered when I would have a need for it again. I know it is good for driving on snow though I'll never do that. When else would it be usefull? Today I was in stop and go traffic with the trans in the "S" position. It kept up shifting and down shifting between first and second. During a stop, I put the selector into "C". It made the balance of the stop and go much more bearable.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Interesting idea, I'll try that.

My car has only been out of S mode for about 30 seconds. It was delivered in S, and I've kept it there except once to see what it did.

I hope it doesn't explode, but I'm one to break cars in in a style consistent with how they'll be driven. Not full-on much, but briskly.

I do like the way under heavy throttle, it'll rev up to about 6000 and just kind of hang there upshifting frequently. Almost like a CVT.

·
Registered
Orion Blue SLK350
108 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/17/2005 6:40 PM

I finally found a use for the "C" position on the 7 speed automatic. I used it for the first 1,000 miles but then wondered when I would have a need for it again. I know it is good for driving on snow though I'll never do that. When else would it be usefull? Today I was in stop and go traffic with the trans in the "S" position. It kept up shifting and down shifting between first and second. During a stop, I put the selector into "C". It made the balance of the stop and go much more bearable.
I find that "S" mode tends to lurch uncomfortably in 1st gear, likely due to the excellent acceleration of the car. In general, for just driving around, "C" mode seems more comfortable, but will provide adequate acceleration when I need it. If I'm driving around somewhere where I can let loose a bit more, "S" mode is much more satisfying. For my own purposes, I tend to keep it in "C" mode the majority of the time.

Jerry

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I only go on S when I feel like revving the engine and listening to it bellow.

I use C for just about everything else. Especially in rain.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/17/2005 6:40 PM

I was just wondering that very thing yesterday. Just hit 1000 miles and have been running in "C". Now getting ready to switch to "S" and was wondering when I should use "C" after that. Thanks for the info[:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you are in for a surprise. In the S mode, the car really leaps away from a stop. It's much more responsive. I'll be interested to hear you reactions.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
I also keep mine in "C" all the time its a much more relaxed drive "S" I found to be a bit jerky in traffic stop/start.

Hows everyone keeping?

gary

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
"C" has been working fine for me the majority of the time....[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/18/2005 7:15 AM

I think you are in for a surprise. In the S mode, the car really leaps away from a stop. It's much more responsive. I'll be interested to hear you reactions.
I love the "S" mode! Much more responsive. In "C" I felt like Granny tooling around in my luxurymobile given I have always owned a manual. This is my first automatic (and maybe my last). It especially helps on the canyon roads which can be quite steep and you need a little bit of "oomph" at times. Especially like the extra kick merging on the freeways.[:D][8D][:D]

And now I know I can always go back to "C" mode for start/stop driving[:p]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
'6 on the floor'(in my youth it used to be 4[:(]) is fine for me. One of my pet hates though is the rev cut-out at about 7500 - feels like you've hit a brick wall - why can't they do a 'rev limiter' that will hold the revs at max, as opposed to a cut-out which must put far more stress on the mechanical bits, and would be much safer too.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I tried driving in C mode using the manual buttons, and it felt like it was a little less responsive when hitting the accelerator pedal down, then if I was driving in S mode... hmmm

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
DUO-ART QUESTION

Duo-Art - 4/18/2005 7:00 AM

Malibuite,

Have you tried your car in the S mode yet?
Duo-Art:

I am back to the "C" mode again.

I liked the "S" mode and then yesterday it was like the gears were slipping. When I took off from a stop, the gear would not change from 1st to 2nd. I kept giving it more gas and you could hear the whirring of the engine. I would even back off the gas and try again but to no avail. Finally, there would be this sudden lurch forward as the gear changed. This continued to happen every time I started off from a complete stop and then started happening with the higher gears so I switched back to the "C" mode and no problems.

What could this be? I have read some posts where people started having problems with the tranny. I have 1100 miles on the car and don't want to take it in to the dealer until about 2500 miles to get the oil changed etc.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RE: DUO-ART Question

I've never had that problem. Try it again. If it happens, take the car to the dealer. You don't want to wear anything out if something is slipping.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
RE: DUO-ART QUESTION

Malibuite

I would take the car in straight away. That cannot be good.

If you go back to S, does it do it again?

roadsta

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
RE: DUO-ART QUESTION

roadsta - 4/21/2005 4:20 AM

Malibuite

I would take the car in straight away. That cannot be good.

If you go back to S, does it do it again?

roadsta
I don't know...haven't had an opportunity to try it. I am currently in Seattle and will not be back until the weekend. Will try the S mode again and will definitely take it in if it continues slipping. Strange that it works ok in C mode although I know C starts out in 2nd and not 1st. The initial problem with the S mode was going from 1st to 2nd. Maybe it thinks it is still in the C mode?[;)]

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Whoops! When I went over the car with the salesperson, he said that 'C' was only necessary in colder climates, so I naturally thought that 'C' didn't apply to me. I didn't know you were supposed to drive 1000 miles in 'C' before switching to 'S'. I drove the car off the lot in 'S', and a further 120 freeway miles home (where the temperature is typically 85-95 at this time of the year).

Oh well, I've done 600 miles in 'S' now, so I guess I may as well carry on driving in this mode. (It's also way too much fun in 'S' to change back to granny mode now, anyway.)

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread...

I'll admit, I'm not sure which I prefer better. I don't know much of anything about driving, but I'm not sure which one is really more comfortable for me.

I've found that in c...it's not as jerky off the line. That it has sweet power when punched.

I've also found that in s, that it can be jerky but a bit more responsive to going off the line. s has been a bit annoying with stop and go traffic here in NY. We have horrid roads and some of thee worst drivers on the blue and green earth!!

Anyone wanna give me a verbal driving lesson?![:(]

c starts in second (for what reason)?

s is standard....

Which is best to stay in, c or s, if one wants to mess around with the tiptronic???

many thanks, aloha![:D]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts