Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 E430 sport With E55 Swap, 2005 E55 AMG
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have my old key from my 99 E430 (crashed) and now im looking to get anthor one, but the dealer only has one key, can i program my old key to the new car. its also a 99 E430.. if not who do you recommend..

thank you
luis

·
Registered
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
283 Posts
No, won't work. You can buy a new key from mercedes for $300 (what a rip off), or go to for_my_mercedes_dot_com (take out the _) and order a new style key for $115 (you will have to fax them your registration paper & driver license)

You can't reprogram smart key from one car to another. Don't bother to buy key on eBay

·
Registered
99 E430 sport With E55 Swap, 2005 E55 AMG
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. i guess i need to buy a new key. has any one tried this company..

thank you luis

·
Registered
E320 Elegance 99" (Arabian Gulf Market), Fathers's 500 SEL 86"
81 Posts
Hi there "I-pagan",

U remind me of the old times when first I bought my E320 99", it was only with one key and no metal ones too, so I went over to the dealer here they ordered a new one for me with metal key it cost me around 291$. but the new key is really very cool just looks like the 2006" MB keys, I like it. by they way it takes about one week for the optical Remote Key "Main one" and month for teh metal key, which at the end it didn't fit to my car so I have to make duplicate one through thoe key-maker shops for about "25$"..

·
Registered
TT
500 Posts
old one will not work get a new style key here the link to the shop for much better price then dealer and it comes in few weeks
OEM Parts Direct :: Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volvo
if need help with part numbers pm me i still have it somewhere ... you will need to scan and e-mail your proof of ownership or fax it ... good luck

l-pagan said:
thanks for the help. i guess i need to buy a new key. has any one tried this company..

thank you luis

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,206 Posts
be careful with this online ordering for overseas MBs. some countries operate at
a different frequency than those for North America...so care is needed to ensure
proper function.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Key replacement

Hi SaMaS,
I do need help with the part number or directions for that web site. Not sure I found the correct one for a 2002 e-class OEM Parts Direct
Thanks

SaMaS said:
old one will not work get a new style key here the link to the shop for much better price then dealer and it comes in few weeks
OEM Parts Direct :: Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volvo
if need help with part numbers pm me i still have it somewhere ... you will need to scan and e-mail your proof of ownership or fax it ... good luck

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,206 Posts
211-766-36-06 (for the Smartkey)

203-766-50-06
(for the metal blade insert)

someone reporting that this place sells for $50 but I am unable to substantiate
whether it's an official MB dealer like I did with OEMpartsdirect/Hammersley...
so be careful.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214660

also, in my notes is this tidbit so be aware. I've not verified this info....
In the US the key uses 315Mhz while everywhere else is 433Mhz used.
So a US key would never work with a non US version of the car

·
Registered
1998 E300 Turbodiesel
40 Posts
I purchased a new Smart key from my local MB dealership. Cost was just over $200 and the new key looks like the one on the left in the picture above. This cost included the metal insert key.

The instructions for activating the key were simply to put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position, but not start the car. The guy at the dealer told me it could take a few minutes to re-program. I think it took less than 1 second because I didn't even have a chance to see any message in the cluster panel (the guy at the dealer told me that I would be informed through the message display be spedometer as to what was happening).

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,206 Posts
uh oh.....if you only let the new key 'learn' your car's electronics in only a second
instead of the recommended 1-2 hours, you also short changed the horsepower
as well.

;)

·
Registered
98 E-430 (W210)(RIP) 96 S600 (W140)
369 Posts
woah.... you can potentially lose HP with just your key??
wtf?? just because the key did not "learn"... that could effect your power??
wow.

no wonder my car seems faster with my old key rather than my new one.... i thought i was crazy.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
raymond- said:
uh oh.....if you only let the new key 'learn' your car's electronics in only a second
instead of the recommended 1-2 hours, you also short changed the horsepower
as well.;)
:eek:

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,206 Posts
S-

i was jest kidding.....

was working late and needed to do something silly. i didnt think
that would be taken seriously, espec given the winking graphic

·
Registered
98 320
448 Posts
BTW I just bought the new key from OEM parts direct and they are $55 now

D

·
0 Posts
illest said:
Hi, Could you please list the site and the part numbers. I just tried to order keys for my 2000 E320 and the price was $114.80 for the key and $3.69 for the metal blade insert!:mad:

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Designo_E320 said:
Hi, Could you please list the site and the part numbers. I just tried to order keys for my 2000 E320 and the price was $114.80 for the key and $3.69 for the metal blade insert!:mad:
Yes... please list where you found the key for 55.00!!

oempartsdirect still shows 114.80

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
illest said:
$55? I paid $114.00 March of this yr....You sure it's not for your Honda;)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
skipinschool said:
woah.... you can potentially lose HP with just your key??
wtf?? just because the key did not "learn"... that could effect your power??
wow.

no wonder my car seems faster with my old key rather than my new one.... i thought i was crazy.
Also be careful, you may bent the compression as well by taking out the key too quickly.
;)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
JOE55 said:
You mean the valve spring;)
No - you got that wrong. The valve spring only get damaged if you don't grease the compression after you have bent it.
;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts