Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's good news for people that live outside of the USA and do not have the US Dollar
as their base currency. The exchange rate just now is more or less 1 UK Pound Sterling buys 2 US Dollars

I missed winning a couple of UK auctions for a bonnet/hood pad which eventually went for £60 + £15 shipping to Spain. A total of £75 or $150.

I've just bought a Bonnet/hood pad for $57 + $29 shipping to Spain from eBay USA. A total of $86 or £43.

Now let's consider this vehicle.

This same car would be worth £55k - £65k at UK prices or €78k - €92k Euros.

If you paid the full asking price of $68,800. that would only cost £34,200. or €48,900.

The only unforeseen expense would be shipping the car back to Europe which again if that cost $10,000 it would be worth it for a European as that would only be £5,000.
You would then have a this vehicle for £39,200 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
SL 500 R
68 Posts
redliner, I dont know how it is in spain, but in poland you have to pay custums tax, + vat + another extra tax polish non european union tax.
which is
10%+ 22%(-6% us vat)+ 13.6%+ 250 euro, which really makes a difference,
shiping is rather cheap it closes at 2000$ (1000$ will also do it) but you must wait 2-3 weeks.

I rather buy golf clubs in the us because the difference is just awsome

cheers

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aretim said:
redliner, I dont know how it is in spain, but in poland you have to pay custums tax, + vat + another extra tax polish non european union tax.
which is
10%+ 22%(-6% us vat)+ 13.6%+ 250 euro, which really makes a difference,
shiping is rather cheap it closes at 2000$ (1000$ will also do it) but you must wait 2-3 weeks.

I rather buy golf clubs in the us because the difference is just awsome

cheers
It depends on the age of the car and whether you can produce an official invoice for the correct amount (an eBay invoice is pretty official), also if you keep the car for just over six months the tax is negligible.

OK if the shipping is only $2000 or £1000 or €14300 and you have to pay say £5000 tax it's still a cheap car.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
I just shipped my Lexus LS430 to greece for a measly $1300. Much better than buying one there for 120,000 Euros new. All I have to do now is insure it and drive it with the NJ tags and registration.
But I guess my desission was made possible because I have dual citizenship and Greece allowed me one cargo container from abroad.

·
Premium Member
77 450SL :: 99 SL320 sold :: 06 Sprinter 315 :: 07 Vito :: 99 E280 sold
140 Posts
Hi Guys,

If I was to import a car to Ireland, we pay ridiculous Vehichle Registration Tax (VRT).

This is calculated as a percentage of the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price).
Any car under 1900cc, the rate is 25% and above 1900cc is 30%.

e.g. To import a car from the UK "valued" by our customers at £20k, we would have to pay £6,000 VRT to have it re-registered in Ireland. EVEN if you picked it up at a bargain price, the calculation is based on a notional second-hand value of the car and it varies depending on the spec (leather, air con, etc..)

There is a loophole when it comes to commercial vehicles. A flat import charge of €50 applies (yes, only 50). A number of people have been importing BMW X5, Audi Q7, Merc ML's, Range Rovers, etc as passenger vehicles and buying through businesses. However, they are declaring them as commercial vehicles and having them professionally modified to remove the rear seats, black out rear-windows and install a load-liner in the rear. Therefore, it becomes a 2 seater vehicle, legitimate for commercial purposes. This way, they are avoiding paying 30% of the value as a registraiton tax. Also, our motor tax is based on the engine size. Anything over 3200cc pays the maximum rate of €1343 per annum for road tax. Commercials pay €253. What happens next is now that the car is declared as commercial and paperwork is sorted, they have the rear seats put back in and all the modification work reversed. It's a cheap way to get a nice new vehicle on the road by dodging 30% re-registration and 21% VAT (value added tax) in some cases. This has recently been tightened up and a number of businessmen are facing prosecution and a nice big fine.

In terms of value, my 99 SL320 is valued at €30,000 ($41,000). Crazy eh!

There are 2 sure things in life.....TAX and DEATH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts