Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Chevy Chevette "Sandpiper"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a move to Germany is coming next Spring and I don't want to give up my beloved G55K :crybaby2:

Does anyone know the cost and process required to officially convert a USA car to German standards?

Is there a temporary permit which allows me to drive the car before it must be converted/registered?

BTW, just did a little math: * 23 gal tank & $5.77 / gal

Normal Driving @ 10mpg = 230 miles / $135 tank ($.59/mi)
Autobahn driving @ 8mpg =184 miles / $135 tank ($.73/mi) :eek:

If I average this-out, I'm looking at ~$200 / week (min) in gas...maybe I've just answered my own question.

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts
Twenty years ago the left lanes (fast ones) of the Autobahn were occupied by the fast large gasoline engined vehicles.

Now the same lanes feature the latest and very fast turbo diesel vehicles with relatively small engines and great mileage.

As an US citizen and with an US driver license you should be able to drive your own (US plates) vehicle for at least 12 months in Germany without any mods to it. Not sure what the insurance requirements are nowadays.

·
Registered
1978 Chevy Chevette "Sandpiper"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't sound very "German" to let a car go un-registered for more than a week! If true, that would be awesome!

Anyone know the cost and nature of certification?

Since this car is limited to 210km/h I won't be in the left lane for long. S/E-class and 5/7-series come up very fast every couple of minutes...God help you if they give you: The Blinker

·
Registered
04 Adventurewagen
616 Posts
Doesn't sound very "German" to let a car go un-registered for more than a week! If true, that would be awesome!

Anyone know the cost and nature of certification?

Since this car is limited to 210km/h I won't be in the left lane for long. S/E-class and 5/7-series come up very fast every couple of minutes...God help you if they give you: The Blinker
You going to surprised.....how many really small cars will come up to you at 210km/h in the left lane - hardly any S-class or 7-series, but all to be turbo diesel!

The Vmax of 210km/h is easily taken care of - in order to experience a decent traveling speed :) and a mileage of less than 8 Miles to the Gallon. Did you figure into your $ calcs the unfavorable EURO exchange rate?

·
Registered
1985 Gelandewagen SWB Convertible
5 Posts
I brand new to the forum but have some pretty detailed experience with your exact situation. First and foremost, what is prompting the move? In other words, are you coming to work for the US government or in the military or the like? If that is the case, well, you will have it much, and I mean MUCH easier. If not, well, it may be a bit more difficult. If it is with the US Government, then it will be easy and fuel is not an issue.

If not, as I understand it, you will need to have the vehicle inspected by the TUV which is VERY rigorous and picky (to the degree that you must have OEM wheels and tire sizes for the wheels that are a part of the option package you have).

You make it past that, get ready for it to be EXPENSIVE to own a car here. You are worried about fuel, but that is just the start. Expect insurance to be on the order of triple what you pay in the States. I think this is based on needing to carry something like 5,000,000 euro liability and the like. Don't even think about speeding as there are speed cameras EVERYWHERE- and if you think you will figure out where they are and know when you can, think again as they use mobile ones hidden in cars, trees, garbage cans, etc. Bottom line, no one speeds here. If you happen to speed in other Euro countries, they passed some laws recently allowing for basically reciprocity between nations. I got a ticket recently from getting flashed in Switzerland a few months ago and it was 85 Euro for being 3km over the limit. Bottom line, speeding tickets are considered another tax here.

Now let's talk REAL money. To get a German driving license, expect for it to cost 3000+ euro.

So everyone talks about just how great it is to have the speed free zones on the autobahn, but you PAY for it. Also, it's not nearly as cool as everyone thinks b/c for every km you have in speed free, there is a km of construction or stau.

Hope I didn't totally ruin for you...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts