Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
I'dd rather come back with herpes than with that thing [}:)] Subtle color also [xx(]

·
Registered
573 Posts
4x4rancher - 3/2/2005 3:10 AM

What do you do to our people over there,a chum of mine has just been over to Florida and came back with this.

What? You don't like his new Land Rover...er,um......I mean Jaguar Pick-em-up truck? [:D] [:D] [:D]

Seriously, I guess he fell victim to Ford's incessant advertising about the F150 being the number one selling vehicle in the world, etc. ad nausea-um. [xx(] That and the currently killer exchange rates for you Europeans.

Gert, be careful what you wish for. I'm quite sure your wife would rather you have the truck. [:D]

That's all the fun for now.

-Sean P.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My sentiments too.
It doesnt look any better from here.
He could have got a really spiffing LHD G for the money he shelled out for it.
Payload... same as my little G in the back ground

Attachments

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After shipping import duty and paper work 19.000 hard earned squids, This is when he really finds out who his chums are, he really must have had a senior moment.
Oh, before we hurl too many insults, he is a senior comitee member of the AWDC,and you have met him when we have been off road J.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
Don't slay the messenger.

I just saw this truck reviewed last night on TV. The most glaring criticism was that the huge door opening (a byproduct of the forward doors and the rear-opening "suicide" doors) allows a huge amount of body flex. That, combined with the lightweight frame of the F150 chassis, means that your chum - or should that be chump - can look forward to leaky creaky doors in the future. It was noted that while this phenomenon exists in all such designs, it is particularly bad on the F150. [:0]

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: don't slay the messanger

Hold on there Capn can it really be that bad, I thought all American cars were now built to high standards of quality and saftey, that the days of the Subarban were gone.
Still it's a free world and at least helps the oil industry stay afloat.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't imagine why, guess we will all stand around and watch on Nov 5th next.
I will allow Mort to explain that one to those who don't know.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Gert, getting your herpes would certainly cost you less and you would be able to keep it for life. But it would be hard for you to maintain (all the treatments, etc.). [:D]

Personally, I'd take the F150 ANY day over herpes. There's just no comparison. Now if you're saying that in Belgium, it is more popular and feasible to have herpes than this new Ford F150, then the Ford F150 must be facing corporate disaster from the good people in Belgium.

Honestly the new F150 is a nice daily driver for those who actually need a pickup truck. There's also tons of aftermarket equipment one can purchase to customize the vehicle.

It's not very nice to make fun of someone because of what they drive.

Happy Trails to you!

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
Brent, now, now, it was just a little cynical remark and not a vicious stab at American Motor Culture. I hope you can't get the BBC TV-channels over there because your ears would bleed. I love the States and have been there on several occasions and will keep on doing so (I love Martha's Vineyard). I just can't get over it why you love those hidious pick up trucks. Buy a Range Rover, a G-class, for God's sake buy a second hand AMC Pacer for all I care but stop buying pick up trucks : THEY ARE NOT COOL when your over 18 years old. My wife already wasn't very happy with the fact I put a picture of her in my gallery so let's get her away from the G-forum for a couple of days shall we [:D][xx(]

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
Ernest T Bass - 3/3/2005 11:05 PM

The F150s seem to be doing a good job of committing suicide by incinerating themselves when parked. [}:)]
If it does that it has at least 1 good feature : a high IQ [;)]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Gert

Gert, I laughed so hard at your initial cynical remark. [:D]

I hope that you did not take any offense to my comment because I was strictly trying to humor you. [:D]

Yes, we get the BBC and international channels here and quite honestly, I enjoy watching their programming and listening to their news.

And certainly there is nothing wrong with having any car one desires, even if it is a pickup truck. I would be lying if I labeled pickup truck users to only one group of people in our society - all types of people have them. It all comes down to whatever floats your boat.

Is everyone here aware that Mercedes Benz is designing a full size, Quad cab pickup truck, based on the upcoming X164 chassis (new G-class)? That is something I'm very curious to see, but definetly not interested in.

Cheers!

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
RE: Gert

i think the award for the most fantastically rediculous of all pick-up vehicles should be new Hummer SUT. Because of it's short overhangs, it has like a 3' bed you couldn't fit a lawnmower in... totally senseless. My buddy has a 4 door tacoma and it's useful. Pick-ups seem to be a real phenomena here... japan has very few pick-ups and also few SUV's on the road.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Gert

The Mercedes pick up on the drawing board!!!!, I wonder if the new Musso sport pickup released here in Europe with a 290 engine a MB grille and bonnet (hood) is the test bed.
I thought real red necks drove pick ups,but to quote a recent UK 4x4 mag pickups are becoming the new Gay icon replacing hot minis.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
Hey Brent, no offense taken my friend [:)] I can say with some confidence that 95% of the people who drive pick-up's in Belgium have at least 1 body piercing and their wife's all got those horrible tribe tatoo's above their ass [:(] I hate those things but hey I'll be 38 this month and maybe i'm beginning to be a "grumpy old man"[;)] I still can't shake the feeling that I am glad I was 18 when I was and not now.[|)]

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
I would not write the F150 off too early...it's frame is fully boxed and supposedly very strong (maybe best in class among US trucks). The interior is quite nice. F150 has gotten very good crash testing results, a testament to it's solid design.

The only major criticism is that the engine choices are kinda weak for a truck of this weight. I think that it is one of the heaviest truck in it's class.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had a ride in the F150 today, the engine never needed to run over 2000 rpm, I was impressed, having discussed the economics of doing this as a business user I can see why he did it. He wanted a head turner to carry 5 people and 1 ton and not loose too much value over 2 years, it will take 2 years to prove the last bit, but the rest he has certainly achieved and looking at UK prices for US trucks he stands a good chance of getting most of his money back in 2 years.
Maybe my chum is not such a chump.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts