Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much searching all over the 'net :mad: (as well as Benzworld.org :confused:) and finding absolutely NO correct information, I decided to tear open my wiper transmission without instructions. Most of the instructions you will find out there only applies to the euro market. Quick and simple, just pry off the plastic cover, lube the gears and replace the cover. Done. Not so on the US spec model. Our cover is all metal.

In order to lube the US spec model, one must first remove the the entire wiper transmission.

First, remove the wiper arm. Very good posts with pictures are available on benzworld.

Just a few 10mm bolts hold the frame in. I found it much easier to remove by taking the motor off first. Remember to index all of the armatures. Failing to do so may cause your wiper to attempt to squeegee your hood or air cleaner....

Once the transmission is out,you should be able to rotate the the cover so the rod sinks in as far as it will go in. Now turn the frame over. There you will see where the arm that is reciprocated by the wiper motor is bolted to the pivot. Make sure you index this bolt to the armature so you can return it to the correct position. Remove nut. Remove E clip and washer underneath nut.

From this vantage ( looking down upon the frame ) you will notice a large "D" shaped rubber gasket. Pulling the gasket laterally, you will find 4 Torx head screws around the perimeter. Remove all four.

This is where it gets fun.

Place the aluminum frame in a nice sturdy vice. good luck with that as there aren't really any good parallel surfaces. I had to constantly make sure mine was tight as I worked. Not fun.

Start tapping the pivot down thru the mechanism. I recommend using a soft face mallet or you WILL gaul the threads... I used a plastic faced dead blow hammer, but you could always use a piece of wood, brass drift, plastic handle of any tool. Proceed slowly.

This should probably be done by two people. One to tap, one to catch the wiper arm cover as i falls through. There are two washers you will inevitably lose if it drops, so pay attention!

Tap a little, check to make sure it wont drop out on you. Tap, check, tap, check.

Once the wiper cover drops out, you will see the four remaining Torx head screws that allow you to remove the top cover. Mystery over.

Turn the frame over, and you will see the half moon toothed ring gear. check for broken or missing teeth. Also look at the gear on the wiper arm side. Replace any broken parts.

on the cover side, I took out the four bolts, and just clamshelled the lids. Plenty of room to reach in and wipe and also to spray down with lube.

The grease left over from he factory had the texture of wax. Useless really.

Clean internals by wiping. repack the internals with white lithium grease. It's very light, won't destroy the plastic and wont absorb dirt and dust and turn to gunk.

reassemble in the reverse order. Make sure you line everything up the way it was removed.

I'll be posting pics as soon as I take some!
Hope this was helpful

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
very good info, added to the faq section

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really useful instruction thank you. My UK 201 has metal cover, and 6 Phillips / Pozidrive screws under rubber gasket - otherwise the same. Horrid job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts