Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on ? Message from McMasterCarr;

"Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from our established customers. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We will not provide a quotation or accept your orders."

Huh ?

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, what I don't get is that we are buying JSF35s from the US but cannot buy odds and sodds available in a hardware store ? This is bureacracy gone bonkers again :surrender:

·
Registered
Unimog 1967 406 Conv agri, G 460 300GDSt 1988, ML500 2002 W163 (lpg)
75 Posts
Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and ECCN;
Export Control Classification Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Been there 3-4 years but folk seem to be slowly waking up to it. It is about 3-400 pages and you need a legal and technical mind to work through it (I do it for a hobby at work). Can get tricky on teflon, stainless and electronics so that while the whole truck can be free export, the export of the seal kit with teflon seals would require an export control application. So a lot of companies say no to $100 of export as it could land them in $M fines and requires expensive folk to resolve it.

Euroland and other places like Singapore have the same regs.. so it is out there.

99% of stuff is EAR99 or no controls required.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mgrays - that is a big "wow". I was aware of ITAR; having had to deal with it for years in my work and I thought this is what McMaster was referring to. But this ECCN business is a real doozy :eek:

This has the potential to put a real dent in low level US exports. What gets me also is, this obvioulsy would also apply to sales on Fleabay. I bought some vibration mounts off there the other day - typical of what McMaster sells, without any of these controls and so I assume that seller has just breached the law ! This does explain why I am starting to see some fleabay listing stating shipping to US only ! What a shame. Bonkers !

Well, just for the hell of it, I am going to write to the US embassy and see what they have to say - I thought we had a free-trade agreement with the US ?

Just need to check calendar - Ah, no it is not 1 April.

·
Registered
Unimog 1967 406 Conv agri, G 460 300GDSt 1988, ML500 2002 W163 (lpg)
75 Posts
Well, just for the hell of it, I am going to write to the US embassy and see what they have to say - I thought we had a free-trade agreement with the US ?
... but if you re-export from your free-trade area to a Dubioustan .. then the first seller from US is liable still (hence existing customers you hope are OK..) .. mind you that is a common trick in the arms dealer land to bounce through various companies/countries.

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,501 Posts
... but if you re-export from your free-trade area to a Dubioustan .. then the first seller from US is liable still (hence existing customers you hope are OK..) .. mind you that is a common trick in the arms dealer land to bounce through various companies/countries.
Dubioustan.....thats funny right there. :D

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dubiustan issue is indeed a real problem. And as the reply from McM shows, responsibility even applies to selling domestically - so it seems like an impossible situation for McM. All the lawmakers can hope for is to keep the Bad trade down to a dull roar - whilst potentialy making criminals of normal innocent business owners. If I was a US business owner, I would not be happy right now. Can they possibly hold vendors responsible for goods cradle to grave (or is that junkyard ?) That is why I suggest this regulation is bureacracy gone mad.
Anyway, what I am hoping is that I can obtain an End-User declaration arranged that will allow me to import from the US. The funny thing is, as an Alien (honestly, that is what it says on my Greencard !!!) I have a Social security Number, The FBI has my history and fingerprints, the Immigration dept has even more on me than I care to acknowledge having worked in the Aerospace world. This is way beyoynd what they have on most dodgy dealers :p
So I am hopin -the embassy will see sense ?? - If not it is at least worth a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts