Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230, BMW 540
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys in the US are always complaining about being ripped off by your dealers. Be thankful you're not in Australia. Not only do we pay double the price for our cars but our dealers are twice as greedy as yours.
I suspected I needed a new mass air meter for my C36 AMG. Rang the nearest Merc dealer who quoted me US$500 for the part. Took the car in a few days later without telling the dealer I'd previously rung, had the diagnosis done and was told I needed a new air mass meter - cost would be US$780! I ordered the part from eBay from an American company called foreigncarpartsonline, trading as FCP Groton. Total cost including postage was around US$200. Fitted it but still had problems. Ended up taking the car to an automotive electrician who said I needed a throttle body, and that the new air mass meter was either faulty or the wrong part. Contacted the supplier in the US who told me to post the meter back to them and they would refund the cost of the part AND the postage cost! Meanwhile the same Merc dealer in Oz is telling the electrician that the MAS will now cost $975! I have now ordered the genuine Bosch part from my old supplier in Hong Kong for around US$250.
 

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
Joined
·
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
Joined
·
6,349 Posts
Glad that it sounds like everything is being taken care of.

I am guessing you mean that a sensor or solenoid on the TB is bad and not the whole thing.
 

·
Registered
SLK 230, BMW 540
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I mean the whole throttle body and idle sensor unit. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem in the C36. Supposedly not possible to repair - replace only. Cost is well over US$1000 in Oz but I replaced it for half that from an overseas supplier. It fixed 95% of the problem (engine dies when accelerating at idle), and hopefully the new MAF will fix the other 5%.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top