Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,271 Posts
They aren't "becoming" reboxers. They ARE reboxers. The only thing guaranteed without fail to be Made in Germany is the box and nothing more.

BUT, and yes I am pointing the dirty finger at you Meyle, don't try to convince anyone that your products are Made in Germany.

That $.02 Meyle Germany sticker doesn't fool anyone who has been around MB for any serious amount of time.
I wouldn't be so sure about the box either.
Personally, I can be sure, because it says so on my birth certificate.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,271 Posts
Yeah I know this and I've even said here before that the Chinese can make anything we can of quality and of German quality as well. But the question then becomes how do you keep their feet to the fire. Their business model is one based on price point and numbers manufactured. So for a company like Lemfoerder to have their production pieces made in China, they would have to have their manufacturing experts there on the ground each and everyday. That's expensive and it would have to be rotational so the experts overseeing production could come back to their homeland etc.

I have no idea if Lemfoerder is doing any of that, but if they don't they will soon ruin their good name. That's why I say check with the BMW Boy Racers and see if the parts are wearing out prematurely.

It's entirely conceivable that just like Japan, China could someday produce quality parts all through their manufacturing processes. But I don't think that can happen with their present form of government.

Kevin
This old fart can remember when made in Japan was garbage. Presently, Taiwan produces goods to higher quality standards than China.
The name brand companies manufacturing in China, have their own quality control techs etc on site, so acceptable quality can be provided. We can be certain, both Lemfoerder and Daimler Benz produce parts in China.

Way back in time, before China production became a topic. I recall a 'Auto Motor & Sport' cost comparison (largest German Car magazine) by building a VW beetle with parts from the dealer.
You could have bought 2 Rolls for the money.

Meyle is supposed to have a sizable rubber compound laboratory in Thailand.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
It's never been a question as to whether or not China can produce quality parts, they can. Just requires boots on the ground from the parent company and a willingness to sell quality parts.

That's always been a running joke....building a car from dealer parts and how prohibitively expensive that would be. Datsun/Nissan did something very unusual once. Long after the 240Z series ceased to be...they went around the US and collected up the best examples they could find, completely restored them and resold them as new with warranties. Mostly restored in SoCal, although the engines and trannies went elsewhere to be refurbished. They had a much larger sales goal than actually happened. At $27,000 out the dealer's door, they were not exactly setting sales figures on fire in 1997.

Still, it was a remarkable factory effort. Sort of like Ford coming out with the GT but of course, on a different scale.

Kevin

41 - 43 of 43 Posts