Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,252 Posts
Jim's point was that it was very easy to increase the amount of carbon in the mix to the point that the finished part didn't look noticeably different from a properly made part, yet the cost of the raw materials was significantly lower (carbon - cheap!) and cut down on the amount of virgin rubber, which was the major cost of the part. Elasticity might be noticeable but how many of us will try to stretch out a windshield seal unless we're installing it? The lack of a higher concentration of virgin rubber also affected longevity, especially with UV exposure. If it's a part that's not being stressed, it's even less likely that the end user would notice.

Reminds me of this:

·
Registered
1988 300te wagon with a complete coversion to a 1987 300td
6 Posts
I just don't understand why anyone fixing their own car would use Uro parts. It blows my mind that if you take so much care of your car, Why, Why, Why would you cheap out on a suspension part. How much is your life worth? or your car for that matter. JMTCW, Paul

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,298 Posts
Because the bottom line is that it's an indelible mindset with some. They will literally step over dollars to pick up pennies and brag about it forever. I know people who intentionally labor over the cheapest price for EVERYTHING. You can't talk them out of it or reason with them...they're wired to do it. And honestly, I don't really give a rat's a**.....but it's the bragging about it that 's so insufferable.

Just make sure you never buy a car from them.........

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
4,898 Posts
Because the bottom line is that it's an indelible mindset with some. They will literally step over dollars to pick up pennies and brag about it forever. I know people who intentionally labor over the cheapest price for EVERYTHING. You can't talk them out of it or reason with them...they're wired to do it. And honestly, I don't really give a rat's a**.....but it's the bragging about it that 's so insufferable.

Just make sure you never buy a car from them.........

Kevin
Couldn't agree more Kevin. My Dad had a term for those types who hype their "wise" decisions and everything "always" seemed to work out perfectly for them. To him they were "those who have never been screwed". lol

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
Couldn't agree more Kevin. My Dad had a term for those types who hype their "wise" decisions and everything "always" seemed to work out perfectly for them. To him they were "those who have never been screwed". lol
That mentality is so prevalent in our society that it's actually shaped the quality of the goods & services offered today.

When I started as a plumber in the 70's, cheap plumbing fixtures or what we called 'competitive fixtures' were special order from the plumbing wholesaler. Over a couple of decades that completely flip-flopped. Now the good stuff is usually on special order. That's a huge statement on what we have become and the reason why Chinese products have invaded everyone's lives. Manufacturers peddle their cheap crap as 'economy' and 'value'.

So a Bronx Cheer goes out to "those who have never been screwed".

Kevin

·
Registered
1998 C280
36 Posts
A man who works on my C280 warned me when I first got the car, if I replace anything, don't get any cheap Chinese parts. I read other articles that URO parts don't last very long, so I've avoided them.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
A man who works on my C280 warned me when I first got the car, if I replace anything, don't get any cheap Chinese parts. I read other articles that URO parts don't last very long, so I've avoided them.
I had this problem the first time way back in the 80's. I was heavily into Dodge military vehicles. OE parts were getting harder and harder to find. Then Asian copies started to appear and they looked like the real deal, that is until you installed them and the troubles started.

Market demand always drives the quality of 'retro' replacement parts. If these cars were worth more and the demand was there, 'retro' parts of decent quality would appear. Right now, we're not there......

Kevin

21 - 28 of 28 Posts