Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lower control arm. If anyone contemplating saving a couple bucks.... :(

Fender all messed up too. Thankfully failed at low speed.

·
Registered
W124
4,899 Posts
Yes, as Jayare stated, its good that any damage was limited to the car. So that brings us to the next most important point of all this. Shouldn't this situation be brought to the attention of the URO sales guy who was pushing so hard against our dislike for URO parts? How can this be done? Anyone recall his contact info?

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,066 Posts
No surprise. Good thing no one was hurt.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moving it out of the middle of road in front of house was quite a chore. Had to spin it 180° with my big 3 ton jack balanced under crossmember. Wasn’t fun whatsoever.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,155 Posts
...Shouldn't this situation be brought to the attention of the URO sales guy who was pushing so hard against our dislike for URO parts? How can this be done? Anyone recall his contact info?
[/QUOTE]

I doubt that would do any good. What I'd rather see is the government come down hard on them as part of a consumer protection act. In other words, have the Feds tell URO and other like minded companies "get your sh!t together or we're going to put you out of business permanently"

·
Registered
W124
4,899 Posts
If Mercedes wasn't stopped from selling cars with self destructing wiring harnesses or forced to fix them by any government as far as I know, there probably won't be any government interested in stopping a company from providing cheap alternative parts. Its purely "buyer beware" . My interest in tracking down the URO Sales people was to justify why most of us don't recommend them nor use them. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see them stopped just as much as you, but I just feel it isn't possible.

I actually think a sticky with part failure information in it would be worthwhile to the members. It shouldn't just focus on URO; it should apply to all suppliers URO's preponderance of poor parts will ensure they get represented appropriately.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
A failed harness never caused bodily harm. At worst, the car stalled out and blew a few expensive electronic modules.

When the ball joint or flex discs or driveshaft support bearing lets go it can cause some heavy duty bodily injury.

Just imagine this happening at 70mph. 'nuf said

·
17,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wife bought the part online on her own and figured they couldn’t possibly screw up such a basic component, so installed it.

Have had great results with weather seals from URO on my vintage BMW’s, as they’re the only ones offering them. Thought maybe they did in fact get their act together. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
URO = Untrustworthy Repop Object. I don't trust their recycled Chinese rubber dogsh!t as far as I can throw it.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,845 Posts
Wife bought the part online on her own and figured they couldn’t possibly screw up such a basic component, so installed it.

Have had great results with weather seals from URO on my vintage BMW’s, as they’re the only ones offering them. Thought maybe they did in fact get their act together. Lesson learned.

Ive got one of their windshield seals in my 240D and have had it for the past 10 years and its still holding up perfectly. I do keep the car in the garage and under a cover so YMMV.

That being said I wouldn't use one of their suspension parts on any of my cars...

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,066 Posts
URO parts are like many things in life - there are times when the cheap spread is acceptable and there are times when it isn't.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,051 Posts
Wasn't there an old thread on this forum with impressive photos of failed URO flex discs and other items? Some of the failures were within months.

For weatherstrips or antenna masts which are NLA from every other source, I understand buying URO. But when there's an OEM alternative for anything safety-related, don't make a purchase decision based on price. Please.

:sick:

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,252 Posts
Can we say "I told you so"? Or is it too soon?

We should start a pool to see how long this post remains up.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,298 Posts
For parts other than engine, drive train, suspension etc...I see no problem subbing in aftermarket parts that fit, work and endure. But the critical stuff, no way.....it's your life and your wallet however.

Kevin

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,252 Posts
Ive got one of their windshield seals in my 240D and have had it for the past 10 years and its still holding up perfectly. I do keep the car in the garage and under a cover so YMMV.
This is why. I'm betting if you exposed that seal to sunlight for a year it would rapidly decompose. It's so, so easy to make cheap rubber parts by altering the composition of the components. Where it shows up is in things like UV resistance.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
It's become a real problem with CV boot kits of dubious origin/quality. And it will only get worse from here out.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
This is why. I'm betting if you exposed that seal to sunlight for a year it would rapidly decompose. It's so, so easy to make cheap rubber parts by altering the composition of the components. Where it shows is in things exposed to sunlight.

I have searched the internets for years trying to find the article that Jim Patterson of House of Ghia wrote about the composition of rubber parts, in this case a windshield seal, and how even the slightest alterations to the ratio of virgin rubber to carbon (lampblack) would do little to affect the physical appearance of a seal, but have significant effects on it's longevity. He was sourcing reproduction windshield seals and other parts for Karmann Ghias in China in the late 1990s, and by closely monitoring the manufacturing process to assure high quality was able to make some very good reproduction parts. His knowledge in this area was deep, and he was one of the first people I knew who exposed the practice of making cheap rubber parts that looked good but performed poorly over time.

There's a reason why a part is 25%-35% of the cost of everyone else in the market, and it's not because the supplier is making less profit.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
This is why. I'm betting if you exposed that seal to sunlight for a year it would rapidly decompose. It's so, so easy to make cheap rubber parts by altering the composition of the components. Where it shows is in things exposed to sunlight.

I have searched the internets for years trying to find the article that Jim Patterson of House of Ghia wrote about the composition of rubber parts, in this case a windshield seal, and how even the slightest alterations to the ratio of virgin rubber to carbon (lampblack) would do little to affect the physical appearance of a seal, but have significant effects on it's longevity. He was sourcing reproduction windshield seals and other parts for Karmann Ghias in China in the late 1990s, and by closely monitoring the manufacturing process to assure high quality was able to make some very good reproduction parts. His knowledge in this area was deep, and he was one of the first people I knew who exposed the practice of making cheap rubber parts that looked good but performed poorly over time.

There's a reason why a part is 25%-35% of the cost of everyone else in the market, and it's not because the supplier is making less profit.
Gotta be the same thing with plastics and outside exposure. We've all seen plastic parts fail prematurely.

My present car came with a URO dist dirt cover that was so bizarrely warped, I just took it off.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts