Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just about to go on a couple of hour run, checked oil and stuff - found that ATF is quite low, below min mark. Problem is I don't have TQT as recoomended in the manual - but I do have some castrol TQ Dexron 111. Should I top it up with this, or not...? Many Thanks, Martyn - m11o engine, 280ce 1984

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
dexon 3 is OK it is the replacement for earlier dexron and dexron 2. I hope this answers your question, you are using terms that I am not familiar with.

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes engine running on flat in p

Yes, engine running, on flat, in P, level below low mark. Should I top it up using dexron 3 or is it not right, will it harm her...?? Shall I get specific atf from MB...? Many Thanks, Martyn.

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checking

Hi, yes engine running, on the level, in P, ATF level is low. Can I top it up with Dexron 3 or will it do her harm..? The book says a specific type - TQT..? Shuld I wait and get the right stuff from MB or top her up with Dexron 3 right now...? Many Thanks, Martyn.

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checking

Hi, checking it on level ground, engine running, in P..Should I top it up with Dexron 3 - the manual says to use ("TQT"..?) Will I :*3. :23 @_((-,/ Dexron 3 in, should I wait and get the right stuff from MB...?

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
TQT is same as dexron II you can used dextron III as it backwords compatiable so TQ Dexron III will work find. Fill it with that bt don't overfill it's bad to overfill.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Yes, use Dextron III. When the cars were new they used plain ol' Dextron, since then they have come out with II and III, they dont sell I or II anymore because III is compatable.

Hows your tranny shifting?

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All,

Hi All, thanks very much for your replies.

She seems to be fine with shift changing, although not sure how long she has been low on ATF - I just remember, I did have a problem a while ago (back in November) with the change a bit wonky, and my local MB mechanic adjusted a linkage connection and all seemed to be good.

I feel really bad now, I hope she is okay and I haven't damaged her too much - I have done less than 1000Km since then...!!

I will top her up with Dexron III right now then.

She is a fantastic car and doesn't deserve me as a bad keeper...!!

I try to look after her, honestly I do.

Martyn.

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to clarify, the MB mechanic did me a favour, free of charge, I didn't book it in or anything - I popped in to ask about vacuum as I thought it may be a vacuum problem, he adjusted the linkage for me in 5 mins with no charge and off I went. Martyn.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
My 4th gear shift seems alittle soft under a good bit of throttle, is this due to vacuum.

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the suggestion....

Thanks for the suggestion....

I have just been looking at the Haynes manual, and a couple of things concern me.

1. I am not really confident working under the car - I do have a trolley jack and axle stands but not sure if they are able to take the weight......can this be done on the ground...?
2. It mentions "turning the crankshft pulley bolt until the torque coverter drain plug is located in the housing aperture" - this sounds complicated, does it become common sense when you are down there, do you turn the crankshaft pulley from under the car while able to see this drainplug move...?
3. The new filter I need, Will I need some specific transmission detail or just the VIN to get the right filter..?
4. The manual says to use new oil pan gasket which is reasonable, but also new union bolt washers and a new union bolt sealing ring.
5. What ATF fluid should I fill her up with.

Cheers, Martyn.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
1. get a set of ramp
2. All I did was have a friend bump the key until I saw the the plug, and then I used a flathead screw driver to line the plug up with the hole so I could use my 5mm allen wrench.
3. You will neeed your tranny to know weather you need a long or short neck filter.
4. Dextron II

If you have any other question feel free to PM me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts