Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
URGENT NEWS! MBUSA recalls 98/99 C230/C280/C43 after 5 battery explosions and injuries

DETROIT, Jan 25 (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler AG (NYSE:DCX - news) said on Friday that it has recalled about 65,000 1998-99 Mercedes C-Class cars in the United States following five complaints of exploding batteries, resulting in one injury from flying acid and debris<br> <br> ``There have been a couple of battery explosions. The recall is to recommend that people bring the cars to dealerships,'' said Mercedes spokesman Jim Resnick.<br> <br> The explosions occurred when the electrolyte fluid levels in the battery fell to low levels. Owners should have the batteries inspected during every tune-up, approximately each year or 15,000 miles (24,140 km) driven, Resnick said.<br> <br> Mercedes dealers will inspect the batteries on the recalled vehicles free of charge, and replace them if necessary.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
curious!!??

It is my impression from the manual and looking at the battery in my '99 C43, that it is a mantenance free battery! I don't understand the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts