Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key snapped in the igniton tonight (no spare) I can start and stop the car but cant get the snapped bit out so therefor cant lock the car. Has anyone stripped down an ignition lock on one of these before? Need to know how hard it will be to get the key out.

·
Registered
V280, 1998, Metallic Black Paintwork, 7 Captain Leather Seats.... ready for pimpin
64 Posts
Dig into the wife's toolbox and pull out the 'tweezer' - works wonders that object!
Mr Punjabi
For what its worth best to use a locksmith, last time I did this on another car cost me £10.

Remove the barrell yourself and take it down to a master locksmith, sometimes they can do a while you wait job or leave it with them for the day.

They can pull the barrell apart for repinning so should be able to do same to remove the lock.

Would not advise DIY to remove in acase you damage the pins.

Regards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave in and took the barrel apart my self. It was a very easy job and only took about 5 mins. I have since been able to remove the snapped bit of key but cannot get anyone to recut a new one as they are all too thick and cant seem to grasp the concept that the transponder is in the fob not the blade itself, so no one will recut it. I have had to pay Merc for a new blade, its taking 5 days to come. Luckily I live in a nice area and the car has had no probs (so far) sitting unlocked at night.

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
I gave in and took the barrel apart my self. It was a very easy job and only took about 5 mins. I have since been able to remove the snapped bit of key but cannot get anyone to recut a new one as they are all too thick and cant seem to grasp the concept that the transponder is in the fob not the blade itself, so no one will recut it. I have had to pay Merc for a new blade, its taking 5 days to come. Luckily I live in a nice area and the car has had no probs (so far) sitting unlocked at night.

After you get the blade from the Mercdads, go down to a local locksmith again and get them to cut a standard spare key with the transponder copied to it. YES contrary to mercdads stance these keys CAN be copied allowing the vehicle to start, I say this because I had one done only last week. What it doesn't do though, is switch off the alarm (because it is a standard key not a remote fob).
Funny thing is that I armed car (W638) via remote, I then waited 30seconds then opened the car with the new key, this set off the alarm but while it was crying for help, I put key in ignition and turned it, the engine started up & ran fine. I would have thought that Mercedes would have deactivated the start facility while the alarm is going off!

SO, if you permanently deactivate your alarm you can get as many of these spare keys as you want also this allows you to install/upgrade a third party remote alarm unit.

SARGE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts