Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know little about MBs much less diesels. My beloved 1983 240D has some problems with doors, fuel flap, and trunk. My fuel flap won't open. No problems with driver door, but Lrear won't unlock by any means; Rrear and Rfront doors usually don't lock/unlock when using key on driver door; gansts flap just began to refuse to open; and trunk, which has never opened with key during my ownership, is no longer opening when I unlock the driver door, and the key won't turn in it - and the button just pushes in with no effect. I understand that there is some sort of vacuum system that ties all of these together, but I know nothing about it. I have just enough fuel to make it to my regular mechanic's on Monday, but I can't even get in the trunk to try the workaround that's been described elsewhere (of messing with some sort of device that opens the fuel door, and is under the trunk lining somewhere?). This leaves me stuck w/o a car until some time on Monday or even after that. What can I do? TX for any help!

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 2013 C250
374 Posts
I know little about MBs much less diesels. My beloved 1983 240D has some problems with doors, fuel flap, and trunk. My fuel flap won't open. No problems with driver door, but Lrear won't unlock by any means; Rrear and Rfront doors usually don't lock/unlock when using key on driver door; gansts flap just began to refuse to open; and trunk, which has never opened with key during my ownership, is no longer opening when I unlock the driver door, and the key won't turn in it - and the button just pushes in with no effect. I understand that there is some sort of vacuum system that ties all of these together, but I know nothing about it. I have just enough fuel to make it to my regular mechanic's on Monday, but I can't even get in the trunk to try the workaround that's been described elsewhere (of messing with some sort of device that opens the fuel door, and is under the trunk lining somewhere?). This leaves me stuck w/o a car until some time on Monday or even after that. What can I do? TX for any help!
My 300sd has the same vacuum system I think. I never bothered to get it fixed, I just pull the lock thing up whenever I am taking someone. No big deal IMO. As for the trunk, this is odd. My car is in the exact same problem except I can open the trunk as long as I use the key (never with just the front door now). Since I know my vacuum system is bust, that makes me think your trunk not opening is only half related to the vacuum. Maybe the actual mechanism when you insert the key is broken?
In all honesty I would just get the key insert thing fixed or replaced and do everything else manually to save money:D
As for the fuel cap I had no idea it locks, haha
Im no expert though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't "get" part of your answer on vacuum issue...

My 300sd has the same vacuum system I think. I never bothered to get it fixed, I just pull the lock thing up whenever I am taking someone. No big deal IMO. As for the trunk, this is odd. My car is in the exact same problem except I can open the trunk as long as I use the key (never with just the front door now). Since I know my vacuum system is bust, that makes me think your trunk not opening is only half related to the vacuum. Maybe the actual mechanism when you insert the key is broken?
In all honesty I would just get the key insert thing fixed or replaced and do everything else manually to save money:D
I'm probably just being stupid (which you can't fix), but I don't know what you mean by "just pull the lock thing up..." Ditto "key insert thing," and doing everything manually. I can't open the fuel flap at all, much less manually. Could you maybe "dummy-up" your answer for me a little? Sorry!

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 2013 C250
374 Posts
Haha I don't know the proper terms so let me try again.

Ok so at least in my car, when the door is unlocked the little thing the looks like a golf Tee looking thing pops up. When the door is looked, it goes down. I am assuming a 240d uses this same thing, but I could be wrong. I just pull these little "golf tees" up.

As for the trunk, I meant the actual key insert you put the key into and twist to unlock the trunk which I believe you said will not twist at all.

Sorry I should have mentioned I was under the assumption the 240d was similar to a 300sd. (different chassis) I could be wrong so please get another opinion!

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
There ought to be something below that will at least buy you some time.

OK I have the same issue with the Key not working in the Trunk Lock.
My understanding of it is that in the Mercedes Key Set there is a Master Key that opens all of the Locks including the Trunk.
And there is a Valet Key that opens Drivers Door and nothing else; My Key that opens the Drivers Door will not open the Passenger side Door, Glove Compartment or the Trunk. So I believe I have only the Valet Key.

You could take you VIN Number and Registration to the Dealer and have them cut you a new Key set. Or you could do the same and Get a new Ignition Tumbler.
That would work as long as no one has ever changed the Trunk Lock.

I think this is the cheapest and easiest to do option
I think there is space for one of those 2 liter or 2 gallon Gas Containers in front of the Driver side Fender Well. You could fill the Container with Fuel and run a Fuel Hose into that container and use that as your Fuel Tank.

To put more Fuel in the Fuel Tank:
Depending on how much money you want to spend on this you can you will need a Harbor Freight Hand Pump that will need some adapting or batter a Generic Electric Fuel Pump $35-$45 and a suitable length of 516" ID Fuel Hose. The Fuel Hose sold by GoodYear and Gates is rated for Diesel Fuel.
Get yourself a 5 gallon container of Diesel Fuel and remove one of the Hoses Fuel Hoses that comes off of the fender Well; that is where you are going to put the Fuel in.

Connect your Length of Fuel Hose and the Pump and some more Hose from the Pump to the Can of Diesel Fuel and start pumping by hand or pumping with the Electric Pump.
Eventually you will get the 5 gal of Diesel Fuel into the Fuel Tank

The same could be done with a Funnel and gravity but I think it would take a couple of hours to get 5 Gallons into the Tank.
But, be creative use your imagination.

Assuming you only have a Vacuum Leak and not a total disconnection it is possible to hook up an electric Vacuum Pump under the Hood (this is what I did on mine). In your case it could even be one of those Vacuum Pumps used when People do the AC on their Cars.
The goal is to create enough Vacuum Volume that you are able to open the Trunk.
After that you can get in the Trunk and remove the inner Plastic Panel and get at the Fuel Fill Vac module.

I have also read that if you remove the License Plate and put a 2x4 under the Trunk Look and whack the 2x4 with a Hammer there is a chance you can pop the Trunk open.
Never done that and don't know if you will end up with a dent or not.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Now that I think about it there might be an additional way to get Fuel into your main Fuel Tank.

The way your Fuel Injection System is set up the largest Volume of Fuel goes through your Fuel Injection Pump to cool the pump and back to the Fuel Tank; especially at Idle speed.

If you got youself a 5 Gallon Container of Diesel Fuel and a extra Fuel Hose as described in the other thread. You could disconnect the normal Hose from the Plastic Filter and install the extra Hose and run the open end of that Hose into the 5 Gallon container of Fuel.
So your Fuel Injection System will not suck in a bunch of Air you need to start Pumping on the hand Primer untily you here a squishing or squeeking sound coming from the Fuel Injection Pump. After that pump a little more just to be sure.
Simply start the Engine and let it idle and eventually all of the Fuel will be sucked out of the Container and the Fuel system will return it to the Cars Fuel Tank.

If for some reason you do get Air in yous system and the Engine will not start; loosen the Fuel Injection Line Nuts (17mm) at the Injectors and crank the Engine till Fuel comes out; that allows the Air a way to escape.. Tighten the Nuts and attempt to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha now

Haha I don't know the proper terms so let me try again.

Ok so at least in my car, when the door is unlocked the little thing the looks like a golf Tee looking thing pops up. When the door is looked, it goes down. I am assuming a 240d uses this same thing, but I could be wrong. I just pull these little "golf tees" up.

As for the trunk, I meant the actual key insert you put the key into and twist to unlock the trunk which I believe you said will not twist at all.

Sorry I should have mentioned I was under the assumption the 240d was similar to a 300sd. (different chassis) I could be wrong so please get another opinion!
Now I understand! My 240D doesn't have the golf tee locks - just straight solid little columns, leaving nothing to grab at all when they're down. And you may be right about the trunk lock itself being broken - I just don't know. It was never an issue until this vacuum issue arose because it would just unlock (and be able to be opened just by pushing the button into which the key would go) whenever I unlocked the driver's door. Now it just pushes in, with no resistance, but with no effect. Someone else has posted a long reply, so I'm turning to that now. Thanks for the input, however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Issue isn't getting fuel, it's getting the fuel flap open

There ought to be something below that will
at least buy you some time.

OK I have the same issue with the Key not working in the Trunk Lock.
My understanding of it is that in the Mercedes Key Set there is a Master Key that opens all of the Locks including the Trunk.
And there is a Valet Key that opens Drivers Door and nothing else; My Key that opens the Drivers Door will not open the Passenger side Door, Glove Compartment or the Trunk. So I believe I have only the Valet Key.

You could take you VIN Number and Registration to the Dealer and have them cut you a new Key set. Or you could do the same and Get a new Ignition Tumbler.
That would work as long as no one has ever changed the Trunk Lock.

I think this is the cheapest and easiest to do option
I think there is space for one of those 2 liter or 2 gallon Gas Containers in front of the Driver side Fender Well. You could fill the Container with Fuel and run a Fuel Hose into that container and use that as your Fuel Tank.

To put more Fuel in the Fuel Tank:
Depending on how much money you want to spend on this you can you will need a Harbor Freight Hand Pump that will need some adapting or batter a Generic Electric Fuel Pump $35-$45 and a suitable length of 516" ID Fuel Hose. The Fuel Hose sold by GoodYear and Gates is rated for Diesel Fuel.
Get yourself a 5 gallon container of Diesel Fuel and remove one of the Hoses Fuel Hoses that comes off of the fender Well; that is where you are going to put the Fuel in.

Connect your Length of Fuel Hose and the Pump and some more Hose from the Pump to the Can of Diesel Fuel and start pumping by hand or pumping with the Electric Pump.
Eventually you will get the 5 gal of Diesel Fuel into the Fuel Tank

The same could be done with a Funnel and gravity but I think it would take a couple of hours to get 5 Gallons into the Tank.
But, be creative use your imagination.

Assuming you only have a Vacuum Leak and not a total disconnection it is possible to hook up an electric Vacuum Pump under the Hood (this is what I did on mine). In your case it could even be one of those Vacuum Pumps used when People do the AC on their Cars.
The goal is to create enough Vacuum Volume that you are able to open the Trunk.
After that you can get in the Trunk and remove the inner Plastic Panel and get at the Fuel Fill Vac module.

I have also read that if you remove the License Plate and put a 2x4 under the Trunk Look and whack the 2x4 with a Hammer there is a chance you can pop the Trunk open.
Never done that and don't know if you will end up with a dent or not.
Thanks for the reply, but the issue for me presently is getting the fuel flap open, which seems to be a matter of solving the vacuum problem. I have just enough gas in the car to get to my mechanic's in two days, but I'd like to be able to put some fuel in the car so I could use it this weekend (it's midday Saturday at present). Can you or anyone else tell me where the vacuum pump is in the engine compartment and what it looks like, and whether there's a way to apply some vacuum in place of the (failing?) vacuum pump - and if so, how? All I need is enough to get the fuel flap open, or get the trunk open so I can go through the trunk to release the fuel flap by the trick others have described.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Well I made a mistake: If you drive with the 2liter or 2 Gallon Fuel Tank under the Hood in front of the Fender Well you also will need to run a Fuel return Line into the 2 liter/2 Gallon container. If you do not also stick a return line into the Container the Fuel system will suck the Fuel out of the Container and return it to the Fuel Tank.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but the issue for me presently is getting the fuel flap open, which seems to be a matter of solving the vacuum problem. I have just enough gas in the car to get to my mechanic's in two days, but I'd like to be able to put some fuel in the car so I could use it this weekend (it's midday Saturday at present). Can you or anyone else tell me where the vacuum pump is in the engine compartment and what it looks like, and whether there's a way to apply some vacuum in place of the (failing?) vacuum pump - and if so, how? All I need is enough to get the fuel flap open, or get the trunk open so I can go through the trunk to release the fuel flap by the trick others have described.
Trace the Hard Plastic Tubing that is on the Power Brake Booster forward to the Front of the Engine Block and you will end up at the Vacuum Pump.

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
To Open Fuel Flap...

With the drivers door unlocked, open the trunk. On the right side, locate the trunk spring. Grasp the top of the plastic fender liner behind the spring and pull in with your left hand. Locate the two plastic hoses. Follow the hoses with your right hand to locate the actuator. If front of the actuator is the link that locks the flap. Pull the link toward the back. The flap is now unlocked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts