Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 ML55, 00 ML430 & 01 E430 4matic All Silver+Black
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been similar questions but not exactly the same issue.
Here is my question.
I have an E430 4matic 2001. Someone is selling a set of OEM AMG wheels with used but at least 75% life left on them in very good condition.
Tires are Pirelli 6 All Season, 235-45-17V rated.
Rims;
2 ea AMG 7,5" 17 ET37
2 ea AMG 8,5" 17 ET30

The seller removed these from his E320 non 4matic replaced with 19" rims.

Since these tires are same dimension (size) does the rear 8,5" make any difference to my 4matic even though they all fit perfectly?
Please tell me why they won't work if they can't be used on 4matic.
What is a stagger?
Thank you.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, Oz. The short answer is yes...and maybe no. Staggered setups mean you have different width and profile tires on the back than the front. As a consequence you may have a variance in overall diameter, which is death to a 4Matic. Since this owner replaced his staggered tires with the same size then that suggests they should be within tolerance. (There may still be a tiny variance since you've stretched the same size carcass over a wider rim, but almost immeasurable.) But that is a potential issue.

There can also be handling issues putting the same size tire on different width rims (many tire shops won't mount tires like this), which would only manifest at the limits or in an emergency maneuver, so be aware of that.

But those concerns aside they will fit. Personally I don't know that I would take the chance, but I have been accused of being overly cautious in this arena.;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
235 on a 8.5" rim does sound extremely narrow. There will be a small difference in rolling circumference due to the rim width difference, but probably not enough to matter to the 4matic system. If it were my car, I would reject the staggered rims due to the looks of having too-small rear tires on the rear rims. Not to mention handling characteristics.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,471 Posts
Staggered wheels have been known to cost problems with ABS and ESP systems on 4-Matics. The first thing you might notice is cruise control going off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Jbenz99 was the seller and he lives only one hour north of my home. He is a good person. The wheels were as promised.
I carefully inspected and measured both 7,5" and 8,5" rims with 235/45/17 tires dimension. They are exactly the same dimension. I thought since they were exactly the same dimension there would be no problem with the 4matic system. I also thought that since the 4matic on W210 has 65% rear and 35% front power ratio installing the 8,5" for the rear and 7,5" for the front would make sense.
Anyways, I put them on and drove 80 miles back home. They were quiet, smooth and did not turn on any of warning lights. I also tested the cruise control for a while. Everything so far sounds ok and nothing is broken yet! :)
I also looked at the list of tires and wheels used with Mercedes Benz cars and I noticed that 7,5" and 8,5" rims were both used as a set for 235/45/17 tire size.
LINK FOR THE LIST: http://www.mbusa.com/media/downloads/main/models/eBrochure/accessories/wheels.pdf

According to this OEM listing there is no warning that this set could not be used on 4matic system. (see the picture below)
I also checked and made sure nothing too close or touching the wheels and tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Correct

since the tires are the same diameter,the only issue you may have is in snow when the system really has to figure what way to transfer the braking.
If it becomes a problem next winter just throw on some good snows on some no staggerded rims.
ohlord:bowdown:
posting pics?when you have them all polished up:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since the tires are the same diameter,the only issue you may have is in snow when the system really has to figure what way to transfer the braking.
If it becomes a problem next winter just throw on some good snows on some no staggerded rims.
ohlord:bowdown:
posting pics?when you have them all polished up:D
Here are some pictures of the AMG rims. I want to thank JBENZ99 for the deal again.
The tires are almost new as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And these two pictures from inside

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts