Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Upsolute

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mark Essman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I sent an email to Upsolute to get a price and expected performance and they said that it would cost me $400 and I could expect 30hp... Is this accurate??

#2 ·
I would seriously doubt you would get 30hp for $400. Especially if your getting a chip for a car that is stock or almost stock. Sounds like they are promising more than you will actually get.

#6 ·
Those are all exaggerated claims, and what power they do make is usually on high octane. I shopped Upsolute a few months ago, but settled on Powerchip for two reasons-

1-Most of the independent Upsolute tuners were very slow in responding to my requests for info, and found out later that most of them (if you are getting their contact info from the Upsolute home page) when they did respond, were limited in their knowledge for ECU tuning for Benz's. I have the M271 motor so that made me nervous. Most did VW's Audi's etc, so if you decide to go that way make sure your tuner is familiar with your car. Also the Upsolute people provided me with no information on shipping or ECU removal, so I was on my own if I used them.
2- Powerchip (Love em or hate em), gave me great customer service and there was always someone there, either Travis or Matt that took the time to answer all of my questions. Their service alone offset the price, and they sent very specific removal instruction and overnight service so I was very happy. If you have the M271 motor removing the fourth and farthest screw that holds the ECU to the motor requires great patience and very small hands and tools. When I got stuck, I called Powerchip and Travis gave me some great tool suggestions as it is in a very difficult location, but what he suggested worked and I finally was able to remove the last screw. First three took 1 minute, last one 30 minutes. Yikes!

Realistically, for what I found, a good ECU tune alone might bump you 8-12 ponies estimated, depending on your motor and how you re-flash. I wanted more punch out of the hole, better mid range and passing power, and the Gold 91 flash gave me exactly that. Not like cranking up the boost to 20psi, but I did notice a difference, especially on the hiway when passing, and no reduction in fuel economy. For the price, and for what I was expecting, it worked great for me.

I researched all options for about two weeks before I bought, so doing your homework in advance should give you the information to make a good buying decision based on your needs.

#7 ·
How much did you pay for the powerchip?

#10 ·
did they mention where to get a pulley?? nobody sells them anymore. Not for the M271 that is... I talked to Cory at Kleeman, they don't sell them in North America anymore because it costs $2100. Ive been searching forever for one. Someone was selling one in the classifieds but I was beaten to it.... if you know of anything please let me know....

40hp is still a lot to claim for a pulley + tune... i still doubt that...

#12 ·
I have the upsolute chip in my car, I have dealt with them before but I agree with the other posters that it really depends on the indepedent tuners with regard to level and quality of service.

THat said, The upsolute chip runs fine on my car. I've found you get more high end power, but the big thing that has changed was fuel economy. Its gotten better by about 5% or so so its not a bad deal.

Their power claims on the website is likely not true, especially without a pulley and other mods. My tuner did say that in order to get true power gains from this motor, you'd have to get a pulley, and then have the chip tuned for it to get the most optimization.

Just the chip alone....maybe 5-10 hp if that's what you're considering..

#13 ·
I paid $499 for my Powerchip and about $80 for overnight shipping both ways. If you have or are considering other engine mods, (pulley, header, etc), make sure to factor that into the tune, so you get the flash that works best for you.

Powerchip gave me three choices, based on my engine and the octane level I was going to run. Again, there are other things that probably give you a bigger bang (still limited to just a few for the M271 unless you go cash crazy), but I too am very happy with my flash.

#14 ·
Ouch. Those chips are a good chunk of change.

#15 ·
Yup. Sometimes money overrides the brain:confused:

But I researched the costs prior to purchase and it was within my budget and gave me what I expected. Not for everyone, but it worked for my application.

Wife also thinks I lack common sense, but I can now haul-ass down the road:thumbsup: and she can have her hybrid!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.