Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my idle under control. Nice and smooth at 550-650rpms. Sometimes it edges up to 800, but it's still better than 2000rpms in park. I'm away on business in Germany and due back on 11/23. I have left my car with a friend who is a mechanic on American cars. Problem is that I took the car out for a ride after i installed the new ICM. When I am at a dead stop and step on the gas, the car screams and feels like it doesn't have any power up to 4500-5000rpms before it shifts into the next gear. Then it shifts smooth and effortlessly. Until I come to a stop and the same thing happens. I down loaded every piece of info on the adjustment of the Bowden cable and all the linkages and handed them to my mechanic buddy along with my tools to see if he can get it adjusted while I'm away. Just got a call from him it's almost midnight here, apparently someone tried to break into the trunk and trashed the lock assembly but the alarm went off and of course no one got caught. Now i need to start looking for parts to fix this. Will it ever end?.... Anyway, does anybody think that I am on the right track with the Bowden cable or could this be on omen of what's to come? My friend said they should be easy to adjust and kind of the same set up as earlier American transmissions. Also, does my 380se have the cable behind the seat to open the trunk, please tell me it's so...

·
Registered
606 Posts
My W123 was doing this. It would take forever to shift. Finally, while driving it, I thought...what about the kickdown switch? Well, it turned out that it was stuck in the "down" position. I unplugged it and all was well, except for it wouldn't kickdown, but that didn't bother me as long as it shifted like it should. Go down under the acellerator pedal and pull up or try to push down the kickdown. Chances are that your's is stuck as well.

·
SuperModerator
13,275 Posts
Ah yes the stuck kickdown switch is an excellent suggestion. Hope its nice and simple like that.

As for your attempted break in, sorry to hear that. How annoying. Unfortunately i suspect your car doesnt have the cable release. Never seen one that has actually. But dont worry you can find a solution in the DIY section written by dan500se, i think it was.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I might have time to find a Mercedes dealership tomorrow before flying home and pick up a kick down switch. I see some on Ebay and some of the places I order parts from also have them in stock. I had to laugh when I read dan500's thread because I did exactly what he said not to. Don't put all your tools in the trunk, a lesson learned! I haven't been running this car because of the idle but in some part of my brain, I remember seeing a looped wire by the edge of the left rear seat bottom sticking out... I hope my mind isn't playing tricks on me. I remember saying to myself what the heck is that for? It wasn't important at the time since I had other demons to deal with fixing this car. Can't wait to get back to the states! I haven't been able to get a hold of my buddy today either to have him check :(

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I thought...what about the kickdown switch? Well, it turned out that it was stuck in the "down" position. I unplugged it and all was well, except for it wouldn't kickdown.
Agreed, unplug it before you buy it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the kick down switch is bad. I pulled it last night and the only way I can move it out of the down position is with a screwdriver. I ordered another one, don't want to mess around and clean up the old one. As far as the trunk goes, I do have the emergency release cable under the seat, but the lock and tumbler are toast. I can still push whats left of the lock assembly in, so I will get somebody to help me open the trunk since it's a 2 man job. I hope I can get a lock assembly keyed to my car at the dealership...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't think that the Dealership can make the key that you have, fit the new lock that you will have to get. They could probably order a new lock from Germany and get it to fit with your VIN number, but that is going to be an arm and a leg plus your first born. You can find a lock on ebay, take it apart and remove the pins in the tumbler and any Mercedes key will work. I had to do that with my passenger door. Nobody will know you did that so they're not going to stick a key in it to try it. Only you will know that any key will fit the trunk, and it's going to be ALOT cheaper than ordering a lock from Mercedes. I'm glad that you figured out it was the kickdown switch. I was quite sure that you had the same problem as I did. Just unplug it until your new one comes in and it will shift fine, though you don't have the ability to really pass someone fast if you need to.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a lot of work to remove the pins out of the tumbler. I never had one apart before. I have a couple of door/ignition tumblers laying around from an old Ford Taurus I used to own so I can practice on them.
You were 100% right about the kick down switch. I took the car out for a ride last night and the trans shifted perfectly. I even took it to work this morning. I drive 25 miles on various highways to get to work and didn't even miss the kick down. Thanks again.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts