Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my 02 e320 to the indie and he quoted me $150 for labor on my upper control arm. I am a novice mechanic. How hard is it to replace the control arm? Is it worth paying $150 to replace it with no headaches?

Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
What labor is he doing? Is this for bushings or what?

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for both front arms....

quote is for 2 hours of labor. He is charging $379 for both arms with parts. I can get parts at azautohaus but am not saving much since the $50 diagnostic fee will go in to labor if he fixes it for me. That is about how much i'll save if I buy my own parts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I get that it is 2 hours of labor. But why is he recommending new A-arms? If it's just bushings that's a waste, but if it is bushings and ball joints that would make sense. Personally there is no way I would do the a-arms and bushings without doing the ball joints. And his price should include the alignment.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'97 E300
127 Posts
Depending on how many miles on the vehicle, the upper front control arms should last a very long time. I just recently replaced both of my upper control arms on my diesel that had approx. 100k on them and they looked and felt good. Only reason I replaced them was because I was replacing both lower control arms that had new bushings already installed.

The driver-side arm is rather easy. The passenger side is a complete pain.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check with him if he is just doing bushings. Ball joints were replaced not too long ago. Will also find out if alignment is included with the price. The 2 hour labor quote- is that about how long it will take for both? Not so sure if that's just his quote for the driver's side.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
labor quote....

is just for driver's side. Question now is since I'll be replacing that side should I replace passenger side as well? His labor is for 2 hours of work and says that alignment is not needed for the job.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts