Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on the C-pillar on the driver side there was an air pocket visible beneath the fabric. Here is my idea. I am going to get a syringe from the hospital and inject glue beneath the surface of the fabric. By putting the glue underneath the fabric I should be able to push the fabric back down onto the surface removing the air pocket.

Do you guys think that this would work? Is there a better way?

Thanks

-Zack

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
Would be an ok idea but it probably will wrinkle as its more than likely stretched out (maybe) Does it lay flat when you smooth it out? Show a picture where the bubble is located if it is in the middle I wouldn't do it and you won't be able to go back. Most likely you'll get more glue seaping onto the fabric and it will look REALLY BAD as the fabric is pretty porous and there is a spongelike material bonded to the fabric. Would be a good idea for leather of vinyl.

See what an interior shop would charge you might get some pointers for free when they do the estimate - just ask a lot of questions - how are you going to do it what glue etc. It would be less if you can take the piece out but not much less. They generally will steam it first to loosen the glue and the use a light spray of 3m fabric adhesive to fix it. Really can't be that much to have it done properly. Had a seat cover reblocked and installed as it was slightly stretched and looked like it had a butt print for about 150 dollars.

·
Registered
2003 CLK 430 Cabrio (W208-US Spec) with V60 Puck
33 Posts
If you decide to use glue, I highly recommend 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive (yellow). I am replacing the interior in an old MG and that stuff will stick anything to anything. It might be a bit difficult to inject through a syringe, though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. It happened just recently. I am very anal retentive about my car!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking something like possibly using super glue. I don't know if it will work though. As far as a wrinkle goes, when I push down you can't tell that anything was ever even wrong with it.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
DON"T USE SUPERGLUE - WILL LOOK LIKE CRAP and WILL RUN THOUGH TO THE SURFACE

Please don't use superglue - its too thin and you'll see a plastic dimple if you inject it. It will be hard when it dries and will run though. It will also compress the foam backing and will look REALLY BAD. If its really small maybe some seam glue which can be purchased in the sewing section of Walmart - works great on fabric - goes on white and dries clear. Is waterproof and is pretty flexible but can be removed with H20 before it dries. Use only 1 drop through a syringe just to tack it in place - NOTHING MORE if you go this route and don't want to take it to a shop. BUT I WOULDN"T DO IT

I'm the same way and if it were me I would take it to a interior shop if it really bother you. If you mess with it and ruin it - and don't want to get a replacement panel IT will bother you. Been there - done that with an exterior paint chip that was too large to file in with a touch up kit. Messed with it polished it - and eventually wore though side clear coat and made it bigger. Had to have the panel painted.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll tell you what. I will take a picture or two of the spot in the car and let you guys tell me what you think about it. I'll get back on here and put some on by tomorrow.

-Zack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts