Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dave - I once found a site with a detailed breakdwon of this on the interent no less. They were selling the pads, upholstery, springs, etc but I can't seem to find the site any longer!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: upholstery

I just replaced the pads in the seats of my 280E; I think they're the same. It is tedious and dirty work. The pads deteriorate and crumble, and there's a fine, rusty dust inside the seat. Maybe yours aren't so bad. Mine spent 22 years in Miami's heat & humidity. The seats aren't too tough to remove. You have to move the height adjustment and fore/aft adjustment to extremes to reach the bolts. You can either slide the entire seat forward (after it's unbolted) to disengage the seatbelt rails, or unbolt the rails at the rear of the console. The plastic seatback adjustment knob snaps straight off. The plastic side covers pull straight off, too, with difficulty. A wide, flat prybar comes in handy; more surface area than a screwdriver. The upholstery is held on by cardboard strips sewn into the edges. Just compress the pads, and pull the upholstery loose. The most important ingredient in this job is patience! I tore one of my seat back covers because I wasn't paying close enough attention when removing it. A local (Orlando) shop wanted $500 for this job. It took me about four hours to do both seats. The second one went much faster than the first.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Jay where did you get the pads???

I got them from the Benz Bin. www.thebenzbin.com<br> The bottom cushions were about $45 each, and the backrest was close to $90. They are an excellent resource for all kinds of parts, many of which are genuine Mercedes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.