Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the USA and have a Euro 560 SEC.
I want to install Flowmasters and headers and anything else that can make my Benz sound better and run better. Can this be done and is it different to do on a Euro 560 SEC than a regular?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
When the car was imported to the US, what was done to it to make it street legal?
- Cats
- Bumpers
- Lights
- etc.

...and what has been done to it by its previous owners?

Where was it imported from?

The cars varied in their setup based on country specific regulations.

Pictures of you engine, headers, manifolds, etc. would also be helpful.

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
Stock Euro cams are as good as mild aftermarket ones. The exhaust isn't bad...but is still a bit restrictive.
On my computer models a headers (ie. tubular design) changeover and high flow cats/free flow (but pretty conservative in street/strip terms), exhaust system gave a 14hp jump over stock figures. The real bonus is in things like residual exhaust and overall burning efficiency though.

The big power bonus came with increased flow through the heads. Get these flow benched for a nice street polishing and you'll be looking at around a 65hp increase combined with the exhaust system, over stock outputs.
Torque curve goes from impressive to monstrous.

Remember these engines have the same capacity as a 340 Mopar and getting 400hp out of those is a breeze (basically just a couple of bolt on parts off the shelf), and they don't have fuel injection and SOHC's...

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I believe it was imported from England because it is RHD and the original license plate was from England and is still on the front under my real license plate. This is my first car (I am 16) which was bought from my mother's boyfriend who is a car dealer. I will check with him to see what was changed. All I know is that it won't pass California's Smog test, but it will in Texas. I will also look for my digital camera so I can get some pics. Hopefully it is not in storage and in some box in my room (I moved in December and still haven't organized everything :D)

I believe everything is original. One thing I have noticed that I thought was irregular was some sort of extender or something that covered the outside of the left exhaust pipe.

What program are you using vanir?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
There is actually no restriction on getting a RHD car registered in the US.

As a matter of fact, a lot of the delivery cars of the US Postal Service are RHD.

While it is awkward to drive a RHD car in a LHD country (and vice-versa [:)]) as long as the headlamps have been adjusted so as not to blind oncoming traffice, it is legal.

You'd better have a co-pilot if you are planning on overtaking someone on two-lane country roads though...[:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts