Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded the hard drive on my Neo Car MP3 player from 10G to 120G - almost. It's a standard 1/3 height IDE drive, but I believe that it needs FAT16 or FAT32. The upgrade procedure is easy and shouldn't affect the warranty label if you're careful (no telling if they'll void the warranty anyway). Simply use a screw driver to pry off the bottom half of the unit and remove the four phillips screws holding the drive in. Partition and format the new drive as FAT32 and then install it in the NEO. You should be all set.

There is one issue that I have. FAT32 seems to have a limit of a 32G partition size. The easiest way I found to partition and format the drive was with a Windows 2000 boot CD and a desktop PC. Through this method I was able to get a 32G primary partition, but I wasn't able to format any additional partitions to see if they'd be visible. Anyone out there have a 40G+ Neo that they'd be willing to open up to see have the drive is partitioned and formatted for me? In the mean time, 32G will be enough for me.

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also discovered...

That you may be able to tell the partition structure in Windows while it's attached. With XP I couldn't modify it, but it's a start.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
There is one issue that I have. FAT32 seems to have a limit of a 32G partition size.
You must have some other issue, as FAT32 has a partition size limit of about 2TB (terabytes, or, 2000GB).

I have plenty of machines with 80-120GB partitions under FAT32, although most of them have been moved to NTFS.

-s-

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So maybe it's a Win2k installation issue...

I'll try it at home with a plethora of operating systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts