Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading my car radio to a new JVC radio. The upgrade is almost complete except for finding a switched power wire- the cars harness does not carry this. It has been suggested that I tap into the cig lighter wire because it uses switched power. But how do I remove the ash tray/cig lighter to get access and is there anyother easy way to get a switched power wire other than running a new wire from the fuse box which seems difficult?

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
I am upgrading my car radio to a new JVC radio. The upgrade is almost complete except for finding a switched power wire- the cars harness does not carry this. It has been suggested that I tap into the cig lighter wire because it uses switched power. But how do I remove the ash tray/cig lighter to get access and is there anyother easy way to get a switched power wire other than running a new wire from the fuse box which seems difficult?
heckenroth hello and welcome in our big and international friendly family:). Please update your profile with your car, year and location to help us help you in the best and quickest possible way. For us it’s extremely important you do this.

Did you test the new JVC with the contact on or what? In theory the car should have ISO connectors and it should be a direct swap like I did in one of my previous cars a 1999 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel (W210) disconnecting the Mercedes radio and connectiong a Kenwood MP3 capable unit and even the light dimming in the radio worked when I switched the car lights on.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is a 2001 E320 4 door sedan-The radio that came with the car is a Becker 002 model BE 6003 that powers an 8 speaker Bose system-no CD changer. The harness and plug in the car does not have a wire connected to the pin that carries power. When asked how it gets power I was told it has to do with the data system. This fact is apparently well known and I was told before purchasing the new radio that I would have to get switched power by splicing into the yellow with black stripe wire going to the cig lighter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's threads on this site about how to open up the center console, it's really easy, I did it, and I have little to no experience in these things.

That said, I didn't bother finding a switched power, I just turn the radio off manually, just like in old VWs, I prefer it.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
The 1999 E class radio got both switched and constant +12V wired to it. Without the key in ignition, I can turn on/off the radio by pressing the power knob. My 2001 E radio/GPS (double DIN) is the same; pressing the PWR without the key in ignition, I can turn on/off the radio.
The wiring to the 1999 radio can be seen here
1999 Mercedes E-Class Stereo Wiring Information
Test it with a voltmeter to find the switched +12V.

·
Registered
230slk '02
47 Posts
I realize it's a bit dated, but to help complete the thread for future users, I go to the glove box light on benzes for an accessory positive lead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The glove compartment light is switched ignition, not switched accessory. If you're looking for the actual accessory wire, then you need to use the wire at the ignition harness. The difference is the accessory wire will lose voltage during the crank cycle, while the ignition wire retain voltage during the crank cycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts