Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the old wipers finally dried out, so I tried the Bosch ICON wipers.

They really wipe the water off, as any new wiper will.

But the cool thing is that they are bracketless, so they have a real clean look from both outside and inside the ML.

Two # 422A for the front and one # 417A for the rear.

Bosch doesn't list an ICON for the rear, buy I found the 417A to work great ! (they recommend a HindSight #40817)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well the old wipers finally dried out, so I tried the Bosch ICON wipers.

They really wipe the water off, as any new wiper will.

But the cool thing is that they are bracketless, so they have a real clean look from both outside and inside the ML.
I switched mine out as well. I just drove 10 hours in the rain and they work very well. Even at speeds over 80 MPH...they really stick to the windshield. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
Even at speeds over 80 MPH...they really stick to the windshield. Welcome to the site.
exactly, i love the fact that they are specially designed to keep an even amount of pressure on the glass by being curved more than other blades from the start.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 / 2005 C230 / 2004 E320 4matic wagon
92 Posts
Switched a few months ago, Auto Haus had them cheaper than the "regular" blades, and man do they work great, and look great. Wish they had had one for the rear.

·
Registered
06 ML500
366 Posts
I was using those bracketless ones for a while, but just switched back to OEM with wind deflector, I find they look way better and work just as good. IMO, the bracketless ones look horrible with just the normal wiper arms. Another member also upgraded the arms, and that makes a world of difference...without the arms, the gap sucks.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Switched a few months ago, Auto Haus had them cheaper than the "regular" blades, and man do they work great, and look great. Wish they had had one for the rear.
There sort of is, won't look as good as the w164's, but check out Bosch's hindsight wiper.

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bosch doesn't list an ICON for the rear, I found the 417A ICON to work great !
I don't know what car this is for, but it is 17" and fits perfect on the ML. (they recommend a HindSight #40817 for the rear) I think the ICON looks better.

I installed the #417A ICON and tested it in the rain. It worked great. It looks great and matches the front.

There is no benefit to the aerodynamics of the blade, but I did not find this to be a problem.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 / 2005 C230 / 2004 E320 4matic wagon
92 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I wanted the free shipping, so I just added the standard rear to the order, I will keep that in mind when the ML need a new rear blade. May be sooner rather than later, the last one ended up decorating a pine tree in Northern Minnesota when I needed to turn around on a logging road, to avoid a really big/deep mud rut.

·
Registered
11/02 ML320
57 Posts
Old thread I know...

Do you fit 2 (Two) of the #422A blades to the front wipers? (1) to the left arm and (1) to the right arm?
The seller on ebay has a set as '422A and 422B'. Im assuming this is a left and right set?
Also assuming they simply clip on?
Thanks.

This is the wipers im looking at....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320712191911&fromMakeTrack=true

Bit pricey i know, Amazon wont ship to Australia for some reason?

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Do you fit 2 (Two) of the #422A blades to the front wipers? (1) to the left arm and (1) to the right arm?
The seller on ebay has a set as '422A and 422B'. Im assuming this is a left and right set?
Also assuming they simply clip on?
Thanks.

This is the wipers im looking at....
Bosch ICON Wiper Blade Set of 2 422A & 422B Blades | eBay

Bit pricey i know, Amazon wont ship to Australia for some reason?
Just changed mine a month ago and they are great. There is NO left or right set and they just clip on very easy.

·
Registered
11/02 ML320
57 Posts
Ok thanks Wiley, i'll wait to hear back from the seller on ebay as to why he's selling them as 422A and 422B before pulling the trigger.

Edit: I found a set of 422A x2.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I bought a set of Bosch Icons for my Jag last year. Best wipers I've owned so far. I love the bracketless design and they really do work as advertised. The only complaint I have is that the far ends of the blades have a tendency to accumulate ice in cold wet winters. Problem solved if I keep the HVAC on windshield defrost though.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
yea icons look and work great. That other guy is right, 17" fits the back even though they dont list it. I use 303 wiper blade treatment (little towelettes) a few times a year, especially before the winter and it keeps them nicey nice.

·
Registered
98 Ml320
111 Posts
I used the Bosch Evolutions on both the ML and my Pathfinder and I find them to be almost as good if not the same as the ICONs. About 2 months on my current pair and no complaints so far.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,739 Posts
I've been using 303 Protectorant for, my gosh, about fifteen years. It was originally designed and sold for the boating market. It was particularly good on vinyl and rubber that was exposed to sun. Superior UV protection.

I have a 75 CJ5 that is pretty much original. The original top I replaced in 1985. Purchased from a Denver comapny (Kayline), it still looks like new and I attribute its condition to 303. Now I use it on all my vehicles and a bunch of stuff around the house.

It does great on dashboards (no cracks yet !!) and I prefer its low gloss sheen on tires compared to all the Armor-all copycats.

Best place to get it is online........and go ahead and splurge and get a gallon with a decent hand-held pump sprayer. I believe West Marine carries it but shop around for the best price.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts