Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL320, 1995 SL500, 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meant to do this while back, but finally finished - upgraded Sunvisor caps to all metal units! There are 2 companies that I know of, one is on facebook, unpainted, and the one I opted for is wiltec, powdercoated black https://www.wiltec.de/abdeckkappe-aufnahme-sonnenblende-links-mercedes-sl-r129-metall.html These would have look fine even with it's smooth black finish, as in the factory photos above, but I did add the texture

And mounted...

I chose the second one because a friend was traveling to US from Germany, so they brought the set with them.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the set, there is something to be set when you tighten down this screw, knowing that it will NOT break, you will NOT hear the dreaded "CRACK..." very solid, great support for for those panels to!

Last pair I would ever have to buy for this car, that is for sure!

Regards,
D

·
R129 HTT Founder Member
040 96' SL500, 368 08' E550 4Matic, 775 08' R350 4Matic, 9147 13' Sprinter 2500
7,503 Posts
Very nice. I love my interior color saffron but it is so much easier to track down black. I might have to buy a set and get the local paint shop to mix a rattle can in a color to match my interior.

·
Registered
dark blue 1992 500 sl
13 Posts
Meant to do this while back, but finally finished - upgraded Sunvisor caps to all metal units! There are 2 companies that I know of, one is on facebook, unpainted, and the one I opted for is wiltec, powdercoated black https://www.wiltec.de/abdeckkappe-aufnahme-sonnenblende-links-mercedes-sl-r129-metall.html These would have look fine even with it's smooth black finish, as in the factory photos above, but I did add the texture

And mounted...

I chose the second one because a friend was traveling to US from Germany, so they brought the set with them.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the set, there is something to be set when you tighten down this screw, knowing that it will NOT break, you will NOT hear the dreaded "CRACK..." very solid, great support for for those panels to!

Regards,
D
many thanks for info already sent order to wiltec

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice. I love my interior color saffron but it is so much easier to track down black. I might have to buy a set and get the local paint shop to mix a rattle can in a color to match my interior.
And you will never look back!
Cheers! Oddly enough found these on Amazon UK first. Nice set, well priced, and "forever pieces"

Regards,
D

·
Registered
M113 SL500
466 Posts
Their website doesn't allow the US as a shipping destination. Any idea how we can get these in the States?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Their website doesn't allow the US as a shipping destination. Any idea how we can get these in the States?
Huh... I wonder maybe you can contact them directly? I had them shipped to my friend's address in Germany, knowing she was travelling within a week of my order. I hope they do ship to US, such a small package...

Peter Nold is another source, but also in Germany, if on facebook, just type in R129 Sunvisor Brass, this is his page https://www.facebook.com/peter.nold.1/photos?lst=1315785825:100001389138336:1572565458

Regards,
D

·
Registered
1991 500SL
103 Posts
And you will never look back!

Cheers! Oddly enough found these on Amazon UK first. Nice set, well priced, and "forever pieces"

Regards,
D
I did the same upgrade sometime back. Now if only they would make the overhead dome light assembly and sun visor doors in metal as well

·
Premium Member
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow, 2001 SL500
24 Posts
@brauhaus

To get delivery to USA, you can use Shippin or MyGermany. You purchase from any online retailer, have it shipped to Shippin's or MyGermany's in-country address, they then ship it to your USA address. Not cheap but at least it's an option.

www.shippn.com

www.mygermany.com.

·
Premium Member
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow, 2001 SL500
24 Posts
@Pete S

For interior leather, vinyl, plastic paint, I use Color Bond LVP Refinisher. Color Bond manufactures OEM certified paints.

My 2001 is Saffron (234). Color Bond's #350 Mercedes Java was the exact matching color. Easy to use and less than $20 to buy.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heard back from Wiltec, and they will not ship to the US, only Europe.
That's kinda crappy, isn't it? I wonder what these guys charge for such package for re-shipping
@brauhaus

To get delivery to USA, you can use Shippin or MyGermany. You purchase from any online retailer, have it shipped to Shippin's or MyGermany's in-country address, they then ship it to your USA address. Not cheap but at least it's an option.

www.shippn.com

www.mygermany.com.

·
Registered
dark blue 1992 500 sl
13 Posts
recieved today and recolored sponged to give texture and fitted in less ihan an hour
only difficultly is the star washer bit of a pig o remove
used a small socket to reset stars and slightly lager to refit
why cant all jobs on a car be this easy
have a great xmas to all

·
Registered
R129 sl320 '99 / W201 190E '90
1,016 Posts
Hi
Nice j

And mounted...

Regards,
D
ob.

Hi,
Nice job
How did you get that black pitted paint finish?
Also are the p/n's the same for all R129's i.e. will these fit my 1999 model?
Thanks
D.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi
Nice j

ob.

Hi,
Nice job
How did you get that black pitted paint finish?
Also are the p/n's the same for all R129's i.e. will these fit my 1999 model?
Thanks
D.
Cheers D!

The "pitted" texture is purely from the spray can, quick mist at the distance few times, that's all. Alternatively, one can take a sponge and dab the pain directly onto the metal pieces with variable pressure to make the texture as busteruk did with his set. And yes, these corner pieces will fit 1999.

Regards,
D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts