Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its rather simple, the plastics need to be lifted off from the sill, not a big or hard thing to do.

But I had a little fuckup already, I bought 6,5" coaxials rather than 5" to the back doors. Maybe Ill leave the rear doors alone and put the coaxials in the parcel shelf.

Or how did it seem, is there adequate space for about 2 inch deep 6,5" coaxials in the rear doors? I can order a 6,5" MDF spacer if there is a flat surface it mounts into? I can cut the plastics no problem, they get hidden anyways.
Well a 2" deep speaker would probably fit in there. The ones I had put in were 5" across, and almost 2" deep. I was eyeballing a pair of Polk Audio 5.25" speakers, which would have fit width wise, but they were super deep (they were extra high-quality speakers and they had a really beefy magnet) and they wouldn't have fit depth wise.

I'm not sure where exactly you could start with this, the aftermarket adapter will not fit speakers that large, with a custom made bracket, anything would be possible. With a ghetto-rigged bracket, anything is still possible, although it wouldn't be as pretty :D

·
Registered
1997 C280
74 Posts
Well a 2" deep speaker would probably fit in there. The ones I had put in were 5" across, and almost 2" deep. I was eyeballing a pair of Polk Audio 5.25" speakers, which would have fit width wise, but they were super deep (they were extra high-quality speakers and they had a really beefy magnet) and they wouldn't have fit depth wise.

I'm not sure where exactly you could start with this, the aftermarket adapter will not fit speakers that large, with a custom made bracket, anything would be possible. With a ghetto-rigged bracket, anything is still possible, although it wouldn't be as pretty :D
Nobody to see my ghetto rigs under the cover :D. I went and bought 5,25" and the dude in the shop said he has done many W202 and I can actually use the stock adapter if I cut or punch the old speaker out of it.

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah you can reuse the stock adapters. But I figured the aftermarket ones are so cheap you might aswell save yourself the trouble. The aftermarket ones are a much tighter fit on the hat shelf than the stock ones, as for the door adapters, they will give you a little bit more clearance, as they push the speaker out a little more.

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
mini update time. After I realized I had reversed the polarity on my tweeters, I had to rewire them, which of course meant cutting the factory connectors off because I did not have the foresight to leave enough wire to do a second rewiring job. With too little wire left, I soldered the tweeters directly to the factory wiring. After some time I realized that would be a bad idea, so I cut the tweeters again so I could crimp + solder on some butt connectors. After some time, I realized that was too much of a ghetto rigged operation to be acceptable on my car, so I cut the rigged connectors off and soldered on some proper connectors. I bought some marine-grade waterproof connectors on amazon for 10$ (it was a pack of 5 female and 5 male connectors) and did the job one final time. I also used heat-shrink tubing to insulate the soldering jobs, and used good quality electrical tape to prevent anything from ever coming loose. Here is a picture of the passenger's side tweeter after it was completed!

·
Registered
1997 C280
74 Posts
This thing is not that subtle :D I'm once again looking for upgrades, possibly a more responsive subwoofer but most definetely going for the tweeters now. My only concern now is that how do I pry off the tweeter cover without breaking it? What part of the triangle I pry and to which way?

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There is a little tab protruding into the vent, push it upwards and it will release part of the tweeter, then you can remove it with your fingers.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts