1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1978 C107 280
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one.

My car died today whilst driving, felt like someone had just switched the engine off.

Quickly pulled a spark plug and got nothing, ended up with a 30 minute tow home.

I have tested the coil, 0.3 ohm for primary and 8.2k ohm for secondary, so I am thinking it is okay. Have also tested for spark from coil to dizzy and getting nothing.

So I am now thinking it is the Bosch ICU.

I have seen the smaller solid state ones, does anyone know if they work for my year car? I think in the US they are called Hueco

Thanks,
Chester

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Did you cross reference the part number? I have an '83 380 and I replaced my ICU with the smaller solid state unit and it works fine.

·
Registered
1978 C107 280
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have actually been doing some more reading, I don't think it is going to work.

The Hueco one is: 0025452632
My one is: 0227100001B

I think they perform different functions, I am unsure how they're different but apparently it is very rare for my one to fail. I guess I need to do some more investigation.

·
Registered
1978 C107 280
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - as is generally the case, turns out I did something dumb. I had just changed the shocks all the way round, but accidentally left a nut right next the ballast resistors.

I noticed this when lookee at it afterwards but didn't think anything of it. Turns out I think that but shorted to the body of the car against the ballast resistor and blew it. I am getting open circuit when checking the resistance.

Good to know that these guys don't just die for no reason though! Generally my fault haha

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
Update - as is generally the case, turns out I did something dumb. I had just changed the shocks all the way round, but accidentally left a nut right next the ballast resistors.

I noticed this when lookee at it afterwards but didn't think anything of it. Turns out I think that but shorted to the body of the car against the ballast resistor and blew it. I am getting open circuit when checking the resistance.

Good to know that these guys don't just die for no reason though! Generally my fault haha
"Ballast resistor" is one of those phrases from the past that brings up fond memories.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts