Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done to upgrade the performance on the M104 engine that doesn't cost a fortune?

Chuck

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
No, at 210hp from 3.2L it is already in a very high state of tune, especially for a ten year old engine. Forced induction, turbo/supercharger, or a rebuild to 3.6L are the only real options, and as you know, they do cost a small fortune.

I suspect the least expensive would be a centrifugal supercharger. It would be all custom fabricated but if you do most of the work I bet it could be done for under $5,000

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Besides cutting out the Cat (for better exhaust flow), there's nothing else that I could think of without spending a fortune.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Braingears - 5/11/2005 2:17 AM

Besides cutting out the Cat (for better exhaust flow), there's nothing else that I could think of without spending a fortune.
You can replace the mid-muffler with a direct crossover pipe. It's an MB part and a direct replacement. May give you another horse or two; and make your "throat" a little deeper, too.

·
Registered
G 350 cab - X G 280 Cab - 911's
76 Posts
Is chip performance illegal in U.S? That would give you maybe 10% increase in both HP and torque

Remember that the same engine is in the w129 sl with 230+ hp - don't know if that is only electronics or maybe camshaft??!

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
911fanatic - 5/11/2005 9:50 AM

Is chip performance illegal in U.S? That would give you maybe 10% increase in both HP and torque

Remember that the same engine is in the w129 sl with 230+ hp - don't know if that is only electronics or maybe camshaft??!
We have a chip tuner who advertises on this website. When I checked recently, there were very few additional horses and increased torque for very many $$'s.

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
DUTCH - 5/11/2005 12:05 PM

Braingears - 5/11/2005 2:17 AM

You can replace the mid-muffler with a direct crossover pipe. It's an MB part and a direct replacement. May give you another horse or two; and make your "throat" a little deeper, too.
Yes, I would do that. Very cheap and makes you smile .[:p]

The limited space in the engine room is one reason for less power in the G Wagen than in the other ones ( exhaust system ).
Next is, the G Wagen has to be stable from the temperature, even with a trailer in very high Mountain areas, or Desert ( full load uphill in low gear, no cooling from the front based on very low speed and so on....).

Tuners of "Chippers" [:eek:)] don't care for that ( Except AMG ).

·
Registered
'99 G500;280 SEL 4.5
27 Posts
There are two 3.6 litre conversion G's currently available, a 1990 G300 (clubgwagen classifieds) and a 1994 G320 (Keiser Motors), both apparently imported by Norm Keiser. I have a couple of questions and would be glad for anyone's input before I buy my first G (private message gratefully accepted if that is a more appropriate response method).
Are these conversions 'AMG' efforts or likely something else since they are not advertised as AMG conversions? Does anyone have any experience with either type of these 3.6 conversions (assuming they're not the same) that they could share? Does anyone have anything to share about the G's Mr. Keiser has imported or about doing business with him?? Does anyone have any knowledge of either of the two specific Gs referred to above??

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
AG-wagen - 5/12/2005 1:45 PM

Does anyone have anything to share about the G's Mr. Keiser has imported or about doing business with him??
From what I've heard, Norm is a used car salesman; but one of the more reputable ones around. Several folks on this forum, including Brent, purchased from him. So far, I have heard no negatives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts