Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a y2000 slk with the integrated phone and the cd package. It however is TDMA and the options for carrier service are getting hard to get and less available daily. I want to upgrade to cdma or gsm or ? Are there any options rather than a replace of the in car unit?

·
Registered
2002 CLK430 Coupe
105 Posts
I had the TDMA phone system in my 2002 CLk430 and I just bought a CDMA phone so I could use sprint. I didn't have to do anything other than activate the phone. It works perfectly with the TDMA system. I don't know the details of the differece between TDMA and CDMA other than CDMA is Sprint where TDMA is AT&T/Cingular.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Austin, TX

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,932 Posts
CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) have to do with the way the phone (and your provider's system) handle data. Whether the handset is CDMA or TDMA makes no difference to your car's phone support equipment (PSE and antenna) as long as the phone you buy is compatible with your installation - i.e., a Mercedes branded phone designed to work with your particular Mercedes OE installation; a non-Mercedes Motorola with a MikBox installation; or any of several non-Mercedes brands with a UHI or MHI installation.

Of greater concern is that newer phones are tri- or quad band, digital phones; if your original installation was analog, or if it was dual band (analog/digital), your PSE and antenna system may not be adequate to handle the full frequency range. When I went from a dual-mode, single band StarTac to a tri-mode, dual band V710, I upgraded my linear compensator and antenna switch, and did just fine. The changes should also let me use a GSM phone if I chose to. Although my installation was very different from what you are trying to do, there is a discussion of antenna equipment at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=317

1 - 3 of 3 Posts