Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
E320 CDI, 2005
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So, this isn't your standard 'What can I do super cheap and easy to get a lot more power out of my car, and it has to be reliable' question. I've just acquired a 2004 S430 with a blown engine. Practically a 1-owner car (since 2006), 131k miles - the mechanic thinks the oil change place forgot to put oil back in it when it was serviced. So, that one's gotta come out. But, the rest of the car is in great condition, has had lots of maintenance done over the years, and all of it at one local shop, which is convenient. So, for scrap price, I figured it was worth saving and breathing some new life into.

Now, I owned a 2005 E320 CDI (W211) for 6 years, so I'm somewhat familiar with the ways of Mercedes, and know that this is a very complicated car that originally sold for quite a sum of money. I also know that anything is possible, it just depends on how much time and money you would like to spend on it. That being said, some cursory sleuthing leads me to believe that converting this car to the S320 CDI that Mercedes never would sell us in the US would be an absolutely monumental challenge. Lots and lots of custom electrical work involved, sourcing things from other countries (probably Europe), and generally just a huge, drawn-out, big money process. Is there anyone who knows this to be false? I'd really like to do it, because I've always wanted a diesel S-Class (literally - I was such a weird kid, I swear), but, I don't want a project that ends up more expensive than just buying a W221 S350 Bluetec. Wrecked E320 CDIs can actually be sourced fairly cheaply from Copart, but, I'm assuming that will be the inexpensive part of the endeavor. I may pose the question again in that subforum as well, just to gather all of the information.

While I really want a diesel, what I will likely end up doing, is swapping another V8 in. Which leads to another very important question: The internet also tells me that the non-supercharged AMG 5.4L is a direct bolt-in for this car - it literally would be the same effort as installing another 4.3L. Is this true? If it is, will I need to source an engine from an S or a CL, or would one from an E, ML, CLK, SLK (probably some I'm forgetting) work as well? This is a RWD car with 7g tronic, so the engine will mate up with that just like it would the 5g, correct? It seems like a no-brainer, the engines can be had all day for under $1,000, and they seem to last a ridiculously long time, and fuel economy probably won't be all that dissimilar. Would be the facelifted version of that engine that Mercedes never offered. It wouldn't be the quickest thing on the road today, but that's still quite a bit of punch, especially with the extra gearing from the 7-speed.

I'm really looking forward to having this car, have wanted to own one for forever! I'll be reading up on everything to try to get a feel for what to expect, and to try to put together a list of things I should probably replace 'while I'm in there'. Please feel free to offer some constructive input!

·
Registered
E320 CDI, 2005
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A few (extremely terribly taken) pictures to get things going. It doesn't really seem to have many options on it - outside of heated and ventilated front seats, which is nice - but, it is an S-Class, so even a base one is decently equipped, and most that get options seem to go for a 500 or higher.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,677 Posts
Yes a 2000-2002 5.4 engine from a s55 or cl55 will swap right in , same effort as just changing the engine with a 4.3.

The other 55 models may have different oil pans

“ While you are in there “doing that swap it makes sense to change at least the rear main seal because the labor is done and is hard once installed . It also makes sense to do valve cover gaskets . But If you want to bring it to “like new” then also change water pump, belt tensioner .

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,405 Posts
Transplanting the OM648 engine is possible, but you gotta experiment. To my knowledge, the 648 was never mated to the 7 speed transmission, so you'd have to either transfer the 5 speed trans with it (and transfer the associated harness and TCM, plus coding of all associated modules too), or figure out how to do the communication from the IDI to the 722.9 TCM to allow it to shift. Transplanting everything needed...that's the easy part. Any idiot monkey can do it. The hard part is finding someone to program the IDI (the ECU) to the car, or programming the IDI, TCM, and coding and everything else.

Now, transplanting a AMG M113 engine (non supercharged) is a direct drop in, plug and play. Your old computer can even run it, though you may need a AMG M113 ECU programmed to the car to allow for maximum power. I'd imagine there is a rather large difference between a regular 4.3L and 5.4L in terms of engine tuning, injector quantity and other little tidbits here and there.... but the folks in W202 forums aren't reporting any issues so far. They do the swap from C43 (AMG 4.3) to C55 (AMG 5.4) all day long and use the stock ECU for the C43.

Then again, there might be some difference between a vanilla M113 4.3 vs AMG 4.3 vs AMG 5.4, and the difference is much smaller in the AMG versions than vanilla to AMG. Who knows, as I haven't tried.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,677 Posts
The amg43 in the c43 amg was a plain vanilla 4.3 engine . No amg tune or mods. It will be a direct plug and play

·
Registered
E320 CDI, 2005
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thank you for the info! I will have to do some research on the W202 AMGs and see if they ever run into any problems. And good call on the oil pans - I always forget little things like that, so probably easiest to stick with one out of a 220/215 to minimize potential headaches. Any idea if I will be able to swap most of my accessories from the 430 onto the AMG engine? I'm assuming that if they kept everything else consistent across the M113s, the accessory mounts would as well, but I know an AMG would have come standard with ABC, and mine is Airmatic, so that could be an issue. I'll try and go ahead and do those seals/gaskets as mentioned - like you said, much easier with the engine out of the car. Will also go ahead and get some new engine mounts, because, might as well.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,677 Posts
Yes all the accessories will swap and
You should just swap the bare engine with no accessories and use all your existing accessories

·
Registered
E320 CDI, 2005
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet. And exhaust manifolds/headers/etc - just use everything that's on the car? I'm sure I'll want to upgrade the exhaust and intake a little further down the line to get some better noise, but everything from the 430 will work fine with the 55? Sorry, not trying to be pedantic, I just want to minimize the number of surprises I run into. I mentioned it to the guys at the repair shop last night (the car is at a shop until I can get a day of to get a trailer and go pick it up), and he was a little hesitant - I could tell he couldn't really think of any reason why it wouldn't work, but wasn't confident enough to tell me 'Yes, that should work fine'.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,677 Posts
Use your existing manifolds - again just swap the bare engine . Unless he is familiar with these swaps he wouldn’t know its a direct swap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts