Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1992 500sl about 8 months ago. Its in excellent condition all around (excellent paint, great leather, low mileage, etc.) The paint is pearl black(basically charcoal) but the panels are gray. I just read that the two tone paint was not offered after 94. Also, the side vents and the front bumpers look different on newer models. I always thought that there had been little or no changes to the SL from 91-01. I have come to see that they actually changed a bit over the 90's. Can anyone tell me what the significant changes are?<br>
Also, can I update most of the changes? Will it cost me a fortune?<br>
Thanks for anyone's input.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yes, yes & yes You can update the bumpers,<br> sideskirts,vent covers etc. Depends on which conversion you want. You can put on the 98-01<br> amg effects (although some will say you cant)<br> <br> There was an amg kit on this site for awhile<br> I bought it for my 91 sl and can't wait to put it<br> on. I also bought the xenon lights. What a difference it makes. the orig. lights on our models are junk!! They will cost you but it is worth it in my opinon. I was quoted $2400.00 for<br> a amg kit from a co. in houston tx, but i dont think it was the 98'-01' style. good luck in your hunt & beware of benzaphiles cause you must leave it stock or you devalue the car. I say you live only once CHANGE it If YOU WANT

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the info.<br> So are the bumpers, sideskirts, and the vent covers all the major body changes? Have you ever heard of someone having the sidepanels painted to match the rest of the car? I don't think that I've seen the two tone on the newer models.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes a lot of guys dont like the two-tone paint.<br> The car looks nicer to me one color, so go ahead and get it done. I would wait until you decide if you are going to try and purchase the upgrades though. Go to a site called wheelpower.com, they have a lot of kits,wheels etc to choose from. As<br> I mentioned before the amg kit was about 2400.00.<br> the guy said that was as low as he would sell it<br> for. Happy hunting

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ron,<br>
<br>
I have a late 93 SL in black in black matching bumpers (originally in grey). Not a cheap process no matter which bumpers you would actually select ($1000), but it looks significantly better.<br>
<br>
The bumpers were changed to the new style for the 96 model and I believe that the AMG bumpers/skirts that lewis was talking about became standard in 2001 (but previously available as an option with the sport package).<br>
Be aware that these new style AMG bumpers cannot be mounted (at least the front one) without a mounting bracket modification. Not a big problem, but not a simple bolt-on.<br>
<br>
Apart from the bumpers, there were several other changes over the years. The most visible ones: New seat/door panel/steering wheel design in 96. Multiple wheel designs/sizes over the years. Change to new 500 engine, some interior updates and new outside mirrors in (I believe) in late 99.<br>
<br>
Good luck...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Ron find any updates?

Ron. how's the search goiing for your updates?<br> I finally had the 01 sport amg bumpers painted T installed on my car. LOOKS GREAT!! I also found out that the late model rear tail light lenses work as a simple bolt on. The too look great what a difference to the car. if you are interested I will pass along the part #'s. But If you call the dealer look out they want about 225.00 each, I found the set for 220.00

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi Lewis<br>
Just checked the site after a few weeks layoff.A friend with a 92 Sl just had the original steering wheel replaced with a wood wheel....WOW! It makes a huge difference, looks like the 600 SL.<br>
I have done a lot of investigating on updates. Found the new tail lights for about $180 each. I haven't got them yet, but probably this weekend. Sounds like they were pretty easy to change?<br>
Other than that still researching. AMG updates cost a bit. Painting the underneath isn't as pricey as I thougth (@$1100?) I may get that done.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just wondering if you could post sa picture of the steering wheel change? I've been trying to get a replacement for mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts