Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500, 2005 S500
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives and came across a couple of w124 owners who have updated their cars to include the lower body cladding that came on the later 124's. I have an 89 and would like to do this project as well then have the cladding painted the same color as the rest of the car. Is it just a matter of swapping out my upper and lower trim pieces with the newer cladding? Or do the clips have to be changed as well. Also can the lower portion thats mounted to the body be swapped out as well (the section that includes the openings for the jack locations).

I have enclosed pics of the setup I have and what I am looking to modify to:

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
It's very hard to find these mouldings used ! Everyone's looking for them,including me !
You do have to change some clips and do some minor mods, but it can be accomplished ! New, they cost about $1400.00 Cnd.(the whole set)..
Good luck

·
Registered
1997 S500, 2005 S500
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of modifications are required? I have secured a source for the moldings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi from Jakarta-Indonesia,
Guys, I modified my W124 200 1989 into a E320 Masterpiece 1996 about 6 months ago. Number of things to consider when modifying your Merc:
1. If you're modifying it into a younger W124 look (say E220-E320 1992 above), the more you have to prepare for the parts. E.g.: body moulding set, engine hood + MB emblem + radiator grill set, headlight covers, rear bumper set, chrome-look thingy for your front and rear bumpers (I don't know what to call it- but it sits on top of your bumpers), door handle set and the boot hood + number plate sills + MB emblem. You can apply the body moulding directly but need to have new clips though
2. But, if you're only modifying it into a newer E300 (< 1992) look, you need only the body moulding set and the chrome-look thingy.. and off course the clips.

I spent 3 months and approximately USD 7,000 - 7,500.. (including full-body repaint and leather interior). But hey, my car looks great now..., especially with the 19-inch wheels on!! and I feel great too....

Happy modifying..
Wedha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts